Happy just to dance with you

Just to dance with you
Is everything I need
Before this dance is through
I think I'll love you, too
I'm so happy when you dance with me

1 month

1 month had passed since Paul and Julie started dating. He and I had barely spoken, truth be told I missed my best friend. Lucky I had George as a sort of replacement but no one could replace Paul. But he wasn't the only one dating someone, 2 days after Paul and Julie started dating Jake had asked me out and I said yes.

Of course I didn't think I was completely over Paul but Jake was sweet and really hot so why not just give him a shot? Currently I was at my house with Julie, Alice and Laurie getting ready for the winter formal. We invited Julie to get ready with us since we felt bad, I didn't really like her but I wasn't going to be mean. Their dates being George and John and mine of course Jake and Julie's being Paul.

I wore a light blue strapless dress that went to my knees (imagine Lorraine McFlys dress from the dance in back to the future but blue) that matched my blue eyes and curled my light brown hair with some pins to style some of it back, along with blue simple heels.

If I was being honest I wanted to impress Paul more then Jake but I didn't tell anyone that.

"Sophie you look so pretty!" Squealed alice.

"Jake is going to drool over you!" Exclaimed Laurie clapping her hands together And right on cue there was a knock on the door. My mother opened it with a camera in hand ready to snap a few shots. Surely enough jakes jaw dropped when he saw me.

"You look absolutely gorgeous love!" He smiled as he kissed me. George and John were greeting Alice and Laurie and Paul was the last one to come in. He went over to Julie and gave her a kiss, not gonna lie I was sort of jealous, I was just standing there since Jake had gone into the bathroom then, paul turned around and his eyes landed on me, his eyes widened and his lips curved into a smile.

He just left Julie standing there and walked over to me and pulled me into a tight hug and kissed my cheek afterwards, I noticed Julie eyeing us suspiciously.
"You look beautiful Sophie." I blushed at his comment.
"Thank you Paul, you look really handsome." I smiled.

"Y'know, I wish you could've been my date to this dance." He said whispering into my ear, it sent shivers down my spine.

"You're the one that had to go get yourself a girl."

He just chuckled, "I missed you soph."

"I've missed you too paulie."

Just then we were interrupted by Jake coming back and I noticed Paul glaring at him. He couldn't be jealous could he?

"Okay everyone get in for a picture!" Called my mom. After what seemed like forever we were finally finished.

"Um Sarah can you take a picture of just sophie and I...please?" Asked paul.

"Of course!" My mom said excitedly maybe to excited.

He put his arm around my waist and pulled me close, he smelled good. We smiled and took our picture and when I looked up I found paul staring down at me smiling.

"Sophie do you know what day it is?"

"December 5th?"

He just laughed not letting go of me, "Yes but a specific event?"

"Mmm the dance?"

"No love, it's our 7 year friendship anniversary! Y'know of being friends!"

I couldn't believe he remembered! How sweet!

"Wow it is! I didn't know you remembered!" I stood up higher on my shoes and kissed him on the cheek and of course my mom got a picture of that too.

"Well how could I forget the day I met my favorite person." He looked down and blushed.

"Ahem."

It was Jake, that's when Paul and I remembered we weren't the only two in the room. He let go of me and I walked over to Jake who held me protectively as if someone was gonna snatch me up.

                                      ***
Pauls pov

We arrived at the dance and we were all having fun for the most part. I couldn't stop staring at Sophie she looked absolutely gorgeous! I think Julie noticed this because she wouldn't let me go anywhere near her or she would just keep trying to distract me. What Julie didn't know is that I snuck to the live band and asked them to play earth angel, I knew how much Sophie liked that song and I intended on dancing with her for it. I walked back to the table to find Julie sitting down talking with Sophie. Weird, I knew Sophie didn't really like her.

"Paul you're back!" Cheered julie. "Let's dance!"

"Um actually Julie I wanted to ask Sophie for this next dance." I chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of my neck.

"Her?!" Said a mad Julie

"me?" Asked Sophia surprised.

"Yea." I smiled at her extended my hand.

"Ok" she took my hand and I led her through the dance floor as the song was finishing they started playing my request. I saw her face light up.

"I love this song!" She Exclaimed.

"I know, I asked them to play it." I said as I wrapped my hands around her waist and she put her arms around my neck.

"Awe Paul." She blushed. Throughout the song I pulled her closer and she laid her head on my chest. I loved having her close to me. I loved her. I had learned that over the past month when we didn't talk as much. It was pure torture not being able to be with her talking about stupid things or seeing her face light up when I played her a song. I wanted to tell her how much I loved her and how much and wanted to kiss her and never let go but one, I had a girlfriend, 2 she had a boyfriend 3 I didn't want to ruin our friendship.

"Hey Paul the songs over." I snapped out of my thoughts and back into reality.

"Huh? Oh yea let's go. Sorry I spaced out I was happy just to dance with you" I pulled her back to the table as she blushed, there glaring at me was a not so pleased Julie. I needed to break up with her ASAP.

"Hey Julie can we talk outside." I asked her as we reached the table.

"Sure thing paulie." She got up from her seat and followed me out the building.

"So um there's something I have to tell you."