Epilogue

Comments and votes, please :)

The weeks before the wedding passed like a dream. Darcy paid no attention to the arrangements for the ceremony, hardly noticed the plethora of parties and gatherings which he attended for no other reason than to see Elizabeth again and learnt to forbear the less than refined comments emanating from various members of Hertfordshire society.

He did not have to encourage Bingley to write to his sisters and brother-in-law in Scarborough with the news of Darcy's engagement to Elizabeth, for he did it without reminder. Darcy often wondered what Miss Bingley's reaction to the news was, and how she would act when she returned to Netherfield. He needn't have worried, however, for Miss Bingley's behaviour towards Elizabeth and himself was all that was polite and friendly, perhaps forced in the beginning, but left hope for future relations.

Georgiana's response to her brother's coming wedding was all that was expected. Her four-page reply was filled with joy and excitement of having Elizabeth as her sister-in-law and happiness for her brother. The letter's sender arrived soon afterwards, escorted by her cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam, who had been granted leave to attend the wedding. He also rejoiced in the match and made light of Darcy's change in demeanor, saying more than once how good they were for each other.

The relations of Bingley and Darcy were not the only ones to travel to Hertfordshire that month. Mr. Collins and his expectant wife also came before they sent any congratulations by post. Darcy understood from the clergyman's obsequious talk to him, that Lady Catherine de Bourgh was most exceedingly displeased with her nephew and had severed all connections with him for the present. Whether the breach could be healed was a matter of time. Not surprisingly, Lady Catherine and her daughter sent no congratulations, nor did they attend the wedding.

Nor did Darcy take much notice of the wedding itself. As far as he was concerned, this was merely ceremonial to officially acknowledge his and Elizabeth's union. In his opinion, they had already been united a long time ago.

_____________________________________________________

Spring had once again arrived as it always did, melting the snow and causing the stream to run merrily over the rocks again, and allowing the fish to increase in number, a fact that would no doubt make Mr. Gardiner happy when he came again to Pemberley. But for now there were no fishermen, only a couple admiring the beauty of the Park in the light of the dying sun, content to sit in silence with each other after so long a story.

The lady was the first to break the silence. "I never truly realised just how sorely I hurt you."

The gentleman, his arm around his lady's shoulders smiled. "I would not worry about that, love. It is all in the past, and it was worth it, to be able to live this day with you."

Elizabeth Bennet Darcy looked at her husband with the laughing smile he knew so well. She had looked at him like that at the Meryton Assembly, so long ago. "But you did hate me for a while, did you not?"

"If I ever did, I remember not. I cannot ever believe that I might had entertained such feelings now."

The lady's response to this was to laugh at him. He smiled, then wrapped his free arm around her.

They remained like this, watching the last rays of sunlight disappear allowing the stars to twinkle brightly. A shooting star streaked its way across the blue-black tapestry of night, disappearing as quickly as it came.

"Jane wrote to me today," said Elizabeth, her head resting on Darcy's shoulder. "She says that she and Bingley are thinking about moving to another estate." Darcy laughed. "Has Bingley tired of Netherfield already?"

"I believe it is more the neighbors that are the cause than the house itself," replied the lady wryly. "Has Lady Catherine replied to your letter yet?"

"Not my aunt exactly. Anne de Bourgh wrote and said that her mother had perhaps finally come to terms with our marriage."

"I am glad to hear it. I should be unhappy to be the cause of a loss of a relation."

"But what I have gained is far better."

She looked up at him with a loving smile that was lost to sight as he kissed her.

They broke off after some moments, suddenly aware of the chill of being out doors in the evening. Darcy rose from his seat, and offered his arm to his wife.

"Georgiana and the Colonel are probably waiting for us inside. We should join them."

She took his arm and they slowly walked back to the house.

"Will you play for me tonight?" he asked her.

"Of course, if you will not watch me so intently that I lose my place in the music," she said playfully.

He laughed as they approached the path. The warm lights from the house illuminated them and they could see a familiar silhouette waiting from them just inside the doorway. "You know, you never told me what your side of our story was," commented Darcy, waving at Georgiana. "I know one - what about the other side?"

"You wish for me to tell you what happened to me that year?" asked Elizabeth. "It will a long tale and you will not enjoy it all."

"You did not enjoy all of mine."

"True." She thought intently for a moment. "Now, where shall I begin?"

"At the beginning, when you first heard of Bingley's arrival at Netherfield, of course."

"How right you are. Now, it is a truth universally acknowledged . . ."

Hey my beautiful readers!  It's my first finished book on Wattpad!  Finally!

In order to keep on writing, my parents have insisted that I go somewhere with my writing to prove it's not a waste of time . . . so if you are willing please support my books as much as you are able with votes and comments, especially this one.  Thank you so much.

I hope you enjoyed!

IMPORTANT NOTE: On December  20th, I will be releasing a new Darcy/Elizabeth arranged marriage fanfiction called Never Doubt I Love.  It will be much  like The Price of Happiness, but a more refined version and much better- writing wise, moment wise, development wise, etc.  It would mean the world if you guys could pop over there and read & support on that day!  

It'll be my best book yet, I promise.