Chapter 21

Votes and comments, please :)

That morning, before he left the house for the Park, he was intercepted by Colonel Fitzwilliam.

"A week has passed since our arrival here. Should I begin to make arrangements for our departure?"

Leave?

"No," he curtly replied.

His cousin looked at him with surprise.

"No?"

"Not yet."

"This is surprising. Is there any reason for postphoning our journey to London?"

"This visit is quite agreeable. And you must admit that the country is far superior to Town . . . " He trailed off. Why was he explaining himself to Fitzwilliam?

"I do not need to tell you my motives! I am not ready to leave and that is final!"

Colonel Fitzwilliam was surprised by this outburst, but shrugged and said, "As you please."

Darcy turned to leave.

"I just hope you do not plan on staying too long, for Lady Catherine might take that as a sign that her dearest wish might finally be granted."

He stormed out the door.

I do not want to spend the rest of my life with Anne! he thought angrily. If I had to spend the rest of my life with someone it would be Elizabeth!

He stopped. That was a very interesting . . . and tempting question.

Don't be a fool. You are the master of Pemberley and she is but a gentleman's daughter of no importance in the world! said his mind.

She is important to you, and that is all that matters. said his heart.

Would you degrade yourself with a marriage to her? She has no family, connections or fortune. Have you forgotten your objections to Bingley marrying her sister? These objections appear with at least equal force in you own situation.

Love knows nothing of rank. Why else have you delayed your departure from Rosings? It is because she is here.

You have time - time to think about it and find the courage to propose.

Darcy remained there in the Park for some time while he thought but he did not see her. Firmly resolved that he would meet her this day, he decided to go to Hunsford itself.

He arrived and rang the bell, then amused himself by admiring the carefully tended gardens until the maid opened the door and let him in. She showed him into a room and closed the door leaving him an the room's only occupant alone together.

He had thought all the ladies to be within but to his surprise and delight, only Elizabeth was there.

"I understood you to be with Mrs Collins and her sister," he said to cover the silence.

"Mrs Collins and Mariah have only now gone into Hunsford village, you find me all alone today, Mr. Darcy."

Good.

"I beg your pardon, I would not want to intrude upon your privacy."

An uncomfortable silence followed, and Darcy sat down on a chair near the table. He rested his hat on his knee, a casual pose that covered his feelings.

What am I doing here?

He could not think of anything to talk of. Thankfully, she was the first to speak.