Chapter 58

Comments and votes, please :)

"Aunt Catherine came here?" asked Colonel Fitzwilliam incredulously.

Having arrived back rather late last night, Darcy had been unable to inform his cousin of his encounter with Lady Catherine until the next morning.

"Yes," replied Darcy.

"Whatever for?" asked Fitzwilliam.

Darcy took a deep breath. He himself could not believe the implications of Lady Catherine's words.

"You will find this difficult to believe, but apparently there is a rumour that I am engaged."

"Engaged?" said Fitzwilliam with a laugh. "How in God's name did such a tale come to be?"

"I would not know."

"And who, pray, are you supposed to be engaged to?"

Darcy looked at his cousin straight in the eye. "Miss Elizabeth Bennet."

Fitzwilliam stopped in his mirth. When he did not speak, Darcy continued.

"How Lady Catherine came by such I report I cannot explain. But, her reaction to this news was to travel to Hertfordshire and confront Miss Bennet over it."

"Confront Miss Bennet?" repeated Fitzwilliam, aghast.

"Yes, for she believes that the rumour was circulated by the Bennet family and possibly originated by them as well. I sincerely doubt the veracity of such a theory, for I know full well of their dislike of me. But the rumour's origin is of little consequence - it is what Lady Catherine said to me concerning Miss Bennet that is most startling."

Colonel Fitzwilliam urged him to press on with his tale.

"Lady Catherine believes I am infatuated with Miss Bennet and so tried to extract from me a promise that I would not enter into a marriage with her. Of course, I refused, but then she let fall the knowledge that Miss Bennet had also refused to give her the same promise."

The implications of this were not lost on Darcy's cousin. His eyes widened and Darcy continued.

"Our Aunt believes that Miss Bennet is a fortune hunter, but I know that is not possible, otherwise my first proposal would have been accepted. There are other points of interest as well, cousin." Darcy, unable to contain himself any longer, grew slightly more animated and crossed the room. "She quoted Elizabeth several times. One such quote was 'He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman's daughter, so far we are equal.' Can you imagine the meaning of all this, Fitzwilliam?" asked Darcy earnestly. "Do you think it is possible that Elizabeth returns my love?"

Fitzwilliam smiled as his usually taciturn cousin was transformed into the more fervent young man he had known in younger days. "Calm down, Darcy!" he said laughingly. When Darcy had seated himself in a chair opposite him, it was the Colonel's turn to speak.

"I do not know what to think now," he began. "I will not speculate about the possible truth of Aunt Catherine's report, but neither will I dismiss it. I do advise caution, though. Remember that Lady Catherine is adept at hearing only what she wants to hear."

"But if Elizabeth refused to promise her that she would never accept a proposal of marriage from me . . ." protested Darcy.

"Yes, there is that," said Fitzwilliam. "That one fact speaks volumes and implies a great deal. If Lady Catherine's information is correct, Miss Bennet is leaving the possibility of accepting a proposal from you open. I take it Lady Catherine was not pleased with Miss Bennet about that."

"No, she wasn't. She was even less pleased when I told her quite bluntly that I had no intention of marrying Anne, either."

Colonel Fitzwilliam laughed a little at that. "Oh dear. Our Aunt is not doing too well with her matchmaking. Instead of driving you towards Anne she has opened up new vistas for you and Miss Bennet."

"And for that I am eternally indebted to her." Darcy looked at his cousin pleadingly. "But what do I do now?"

Colonel Fitzwilliam shrugged. "Why do you ask me? Shouldn't you ask your heart?"

Darcy did not answer. He looked away from his cousin, at the bookshelf but did not see it.

"I am to go to Hertfordshire tomorrow," he said slowly. "Bingley is expecting me back at Netherfield in the early evening, but I suspect he will be at the Longbourn at the time of my arrival."

Colonel Fitzwilliam nodded encouragement.

"He visits the Bennet family everyday. Perhaps I should accompany Bingley and speak to her?" he asked hopefully.

"Very good. And - ?"

"I don't know. What should I say to her?"

Colonel Fitzwilliam smiled. "I'd advise you not to repeat your mistakes of April."

Darcy shook his head. "I would rather deal with Mr. Wickham than endure that experience again. What should I say to her, cousin?"

Colonel Fitzwilliam smiled. "Tell her the truth."

"I beg your pardon?"

"There is no need for flowery speeches of any sort. Be simple and speak from your heart, rather than your mind."

"And tell her what?"

"That you love her."

Darcy hung his head. "How can you make it sound so simple?"

"It isn't simple?"

"No."

"Life rarely is simple, Darcy," said Fitzwilliam solemnly. "But if you never take the risks you will never find out what happiness you can have."

Darcy looked up and smiled at his cousin. "You are not a soldier, Fitzwilliam," he said. "You are a philosopher."

"Well, here is another piece of wisdom; a difficult courtship can lead to a strong marriage."

Darcy laughed. "I have heard that from another. And you cannot get a courtship more difficult than mine."

"Then let us go, and prepare for your journey tomorrow."

___________________________________________________

Darcy left London the next morning. Colonel Fitzwilliam was to remain in Town for a few more days before also leaving again for his regiment.

He was restless, thoughts constantly in motion. Fitzwilliam noticed this but kindly refrained from commenting on it.

"Have a safe journey, Darcy," said the Colonel as Darcy prepared to ride off. "And . . . good luck."

Darcy looked at his cousin, a man who had been one of his dearest friends and supporters throughout times of trial. He was forever indebted to him, and Darcy hoped that the next time they met, he would have news of joy to relate.

"Thank you. I will give you news of what happens at the earliest opportunity."

With this, Darcy turned the horse's head out of London, and onto the road to Hertfordshire.