Chapter 7

Comments and votes, please?

The next morning, Darcy took a cup of tea to the window and saw a carriage coming towards the house. A head with a hat on it looked out the window, then disappeared, only to be replaced by two heads with bonnets on them. The identities of the three were soon known when Mrs Bennet's voice was heard, as well as the giggling of her two youngest daughters.

Darcy went out into the hall where he saw a manservant and Miss Elizabeth leading the trio upstairs to the rooms where Miss Jane was residing.

He went into the drawing room where he found Bingley and Mrs Hurst. Darcy sat down in the chair. Bingley standing by the window turned as the door opened to reveal his sister.

"And now the mother," she complained, "Are we to be invaded by every Bennet in the country?" She sat down beside her sister who patted her hand comfortingly.

Though the eldest Bennet girls were a pleasure to have, (the younger sister especially), Darcy hoped Mrs Bennet and her two youngest daughters did not stay for long.

The entrance of Mrs Bennet and three of her daughters saved the group from replying to Miss Bingley's statement. She swept into the room followed by Miss Elizabeth and Miss Catherine and Lydia. Darcy got up off his chair and stood behind Bingley who moved in front of Mrs Bennet.

"Mrs Bennet," Bingley said politely, "I hope you have not found Miss Bennet to be as ill as you may have believed."

"Indeed I have, sir," Mrs Bennet replied. "She is a great deal too ill to be moved. Mr. Jones says we must not think of moving her. We must trespass a little longer on your kindness."

Darcy thought that Mrs Bennet had an ulterior motive. Miss Jane was not in any life threatening danger, and he thought that Mrs Bennet was trying to extend her daughter's stay at Netherfield so that she would spend more time in Mr. Bingley's company.

"Removed! It must not be thought of. My sister, I am sure, will not hear of her removal," said Bingley.

How like you Bingley, thought Darcy. He looked at Miss Bingley. After her brother's remark, she could not gracefully refuse.

"You may depend upon it, madam," she said coldly, "that Miss Bennet shall receive every possible attention while she remains with us."

Darcy could tell Miss Bingley was not pleased. She was probably anxious for Mrs. Bennet to leave and take Miss Elizabeth with her.

Mrs. Bennet was profuse in her acknowledgments.

"I am sure," she added, "if it was not for such good friends I do not know what would become of her, for she is very ill indeed, and suffers a vast deal, though with the greatest patience in the world -- which is always the way with her, for she has, without exception, the sweetest temper I ever met with. I often tell my other girls they are nothing to her."

Miss Elizabeth isn't nothing! Darcy thought defensively. He stopped. Did he really just think that?

"You have a sweet room here, Mr.. Bingley, and a charming prospect over that gravel walk. I do not know a place in the country that is equal to Netherfield. You will not think of quitting it in a hurry I hope, though you have but a short lease."

Darcy was shocked by the woman's vulgarity. Here she was, already looking upon Netherfield as if it were settled that Bingley and Miss Jane were to be married tomorrow! He was appalled and felt sorry for Miss Jane and Miss Elizabeth for having such a mother.

"Whatever I do is done in a hurry," replied Bingley; "and therefore if I should resolve to quit Netherfield, I should probably be off in five minutes. At present, however, I consider myself as quite fixed here."