Chapter 36

Comments and votes, please :)

Elizabeth was on his mind when he fell asleep, and when he woke up. As soon as he had dressed, Darcy was off riding across the field on his horse to Lambton. He was impatient to see her again. He whipped his horse faster.

Darcy intended to invite her again to dine at Pemberley and also, to apologise to Elizabeth for everything he had done in the past.

And maybe, just maybe, his apology would end in the same way he had dreamt it.

___________________________________________________________

The innkeeper grinned as he saw who his visitor was. Before Darcy could even voice his request, the man had called his daughter and told her to go up and announce Mr Darcy to Miss Bennet.

Darcy laughed and gave the man some coins.

"Thank you."

"Always ready to help, good master," said the innkeeper.

Darcy quickly ascended the stairs, just as Hannah opened the door and say, "If you please ma'am!"

Darcy quickly entered. "Miss Bennet, I - "

He stopped short as he saw her. She was pale and looked as if she was about to burst into tears, faint or both at once.

Elizabeth spoke rapidly, "I beg your pardon, but I must leave you. I must find Mr. Gardiner this moment, on business that cannot be delayed; I have not a moment to lose."

"Good God, what is the matter?" cried he with more feeling than politeness. He recovered himself and continued, "I will not detain you a minute, but let me go, or let the servant, go after Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner." He gestured towards the door, about to leave that very minute but the hint of rebellion in Elizabeth's eyes made him say, "You are not well enough; you cannot go yourself."

"No, I must," said she. She tried to push past him but he firmly took her arm and lead her to a chair.

"Come, I insist - it will be for the best." He had to stay with her, so he called out the door, "Hello there!"

Hannah appeared at once.

"Can we have Mr and Mrs Gardiner fetched here at once! They walked in the direction of - " here he looked at Elizabeth.

"The church," said she in so breathless an accent as made her almost unintelligible.

"The church!"

Hannah bobbed a curtsey.

"Yes sir, at once!" She left, closing the door behind her.

Concerned, Darcy turned his attention back to Elizabeth. Placing his hat and cane on the table, he leaned forward, never letting go of her hand.

"Let me call your maid. Is there nothing you could take, to give you present relief?" asked he in a tone of gentleness and commiseration. "A glass of wine; shall I get you one? You are very ill."

"No, I thank you," she replied, endeavouring to recover herself. "There is nothing the matter with me. I am quite well. I am only distressed by some dreadful news which I have just received from Longbourn."

As she alluded to this, she burst into tears. Darcy, in wretched suspense, observed her in compassionate silence.

Seeing her so upset, he was nearly overcome by the impulse to take her in his arms and ease that hurt away. He restrained it, for though relations had improved between them, he doubted that she would appreciate such an action.

Whatever has made her so upset, I swear I shall right it!

At length, her sobs stopped. In control of herself again, she looked away from him and said, "Please forgive me."