Chapter 2

Comments and votes, please?

Bingley, Hurst and Darcy waited at the bottom of the stairs for the ladies. As usual, Mrs. Hurst and Miss Bingley were taking a long time to prepare themselves.

"Caroline, Louisa, where are you?" called Bingley, "We are already late!"

Amazingly, Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst appeared.

"Come now, Charles," said Mrs. Hurst, "we are not that late."

They walked gracefully down the stairs, Miss Bingley complaining all the way.

"I do not see why we have to attend this!" she said. "We only arrived this morning, and we have to attend an assembly full of these country barbarians!"

"Waste of an evening, I say," growled Hurst.

Darcy did not waste words and breath complaining, but resigned himself to enduring a trial; meeting strangers, young ladies who would look upon him as their rightful prey, evading meaningless and pointless conversations. If he had a choice, he would not go, but Bingley was adamant upon his coming.

Finally, they got into the waiting carriages and drove off to the Meryton Assembly.

Darcy was not happy about attending something against his will, and was determined to think ill of everything and everyone. Even if he did find the people better than his expectations, his obstinacy would prevent him from admitting it to Bingley, and to himself.

They got out of their carriages outside the Red Lion. Bingley out on his hat and smiled in anticipation. Darcy followed suit, then paused, waiting for the others. He listened to the rather badly played music floating out the window, and the sounds of laughter and dancing inside.

Miss Bingley sidled up behind him and whispered to him, "Shall we be quite safe here, Mr. Darcy, do you think?"

Before he could answer, Mr. Hurst stepped out and said, "Damned silly way to spend an evening."

Darcy agreed with him.

After hanging up their hats and coats, the group went into the room.

The room fell silent for a minute as everyone turned to look. Darcy was glad to be at the back, where he was not so easily seen.

He gazed around the room. There were more people than he felt comfortable with, and the ladies outnumbered the gentlemen, but none of the ladies were anything more than scarcely pretty. His expectations were fulfilled; there was no one here worth talking to, no one here with taste or elegance. He could not wait for the evening to finish, though it had hardly begun.

A man, balding, plump, with a large smile, walked up to them and introduced himself as Sir William Lucas. He welcomed them all to the neighbourhood, and Darcy listened as Bingley commented that he loved nothing better than a country dance. With that, the music started up again and the next dance began.

Darcy watched as his friend was taken to be introduced to everyone in the room. As the Netherfield party spread out, he was more easily seen, and he soon heard praises about himself - how handsome he was, his large estate in Derbyshire and most importantly, his income of ten thousand a year.

Darcy tried to ignored them, and so that none of his apprehension or disgust would show, put on a mask of snobbishness and rejection.

He followed Bingley to a group of young ladies.

Sir Lucas introduced Bingley to a Mrs. Bennet, who flamboyantly curtsied and began to introduce her daughters.

Darcy was curious to see the famous Miss Bennets, but had no intention of dancing with them, or anyone else.