Chapter 41

Comments and votes, please :)

"I apologise, Bingley, if I insulted you or Miss Bingley in any way last night," said Darcy to his friend the next morning. For the moment, they were alone as the ladies and Mr Hurst had not yet joined them for breakfast.

"I thank you, Darcy, but really I must admit that I find Caroline's hypocrisy and manners disturbing at times. I know that I should not slight my own sister, but . . ." He trailed off, waving his hand around trying to find an appropriate thing to say. "Anyway, I feel that I must speak with her about it - and Louisa as well, but I confess I do not know how to go about confronting them."

"Did you not do that, the evening Miss Bennet dined at Pemberley?"

"I did, but I do not believe I did a very good job of it."

"Are you sure?"

"When I was speaking to them, I think Louisa and Caroline were not really listening to me," sighed Bingley. "How can I make them understand that I do not approve of their behaviour?"

Darcy was about to offer a suggestion, but caught himself.

You interfere too much in your friend's life. Bingley must learn to make his own decisions.

Bingley looked to him for inspiration.

"Could you advise me on this, Darcy?"

"Perhaps you should ask yourself, as to what course of action to take," replied he carefully.

Bingley looked taken aback.

"Bingley, you ought to be the one making the decision. You are their brother; they should know to listen to you. I am not going to offer any suggestions, save that when you do speak to them, do not let them offer any excuses. As for the rest, use your initiative."

Bingley was stricken; Darcy could see that and was tempted to help him. But Darcy had ordered Bingley's life for him enough already and that had to stop. Though some of Darcy's decisions for Bingley had been good, he had been gravely mistaken about Bingley's choice of wife. He was now certain that Jane Bennet was perhaps a perfect match for his easy-tempered friend.

Darcy had to remedy his mistake, but feared Bingley's reaction when he found out that his most trusted friend and relations had lied to him.

"Bingley, there is something I must tell you . . ."

Just then, Miss Bingley entered the room.

"Good morning."

The gentlemen returned her greeting, then Bingley turned to Darcy.

"Yes?"

Darcy decided to leave it for now.

"I cannot remember."

___________________________________

Darcy arrived in London the evening before the wedding. When he arrived at his townhouse, he found a letter from Mr Gardiner waiting for him. It was a short missive; written to inform Darcy of all the particulars of the next day.

'The wedding is to begin at eleven o'clock, at St. Clements, the church of the parish where Mr Wickham and Lydia are lodging. If you would be so kind as to await our arrival with Mr Wickham inside, Mrs Gardiner and I shall bring Lydia for the ceremony.

Mr Wickham received his commission yesterday and he is to join the regiment at the end of a fortnight. Before he and Lydia travel to the North, they are to visit Mr Bennet at Longbourn. I have written to my brother and hopefully he will satisfy Wickham's debts in Meryton.