Chapter 62

Comments and votes, please :)

When news of the engagement spread, there was no end to the flow of congratulations that came in. It seemed to Darcy that the whole of the local populace had heard of it by the next day after asking Mr. Bennet's approval.

Hardly a day went by without a visit to Longbourn and the joy that the daily meeting with Elizabeth brought to Darcy's heart was but slightly diminished at the fact that he (thanks to the efforts of Mrs. Bennet) had to bear with numerous visits from the neighboring families.

Darcy helped to spread the news further through his own efforts, and took great pleasure in writing numerous (if short) letters to friends and members of his family announcing his engagement to Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

My dearest Georgiana,

I have done my utmost best to fulfil your every wish, but your desire for a sister was rather difficult. However, I cannot contain my joy in informing you of the fact that Elizabeth Bennet has done me the greatest honour in consenting to be my wife.

She expresses her impatience in seeing you again and to continue the acquaintance that was unfortunately interrupted last summer at Pemberley. We are impatient for you to join us here in Hertfordshire at Bingley's estate at the soonest possible occasion. Elizabeth's elder sister Jane is also anxious to meet you.

Your brother is now ecstatically happy - a profound change from those days in London. Elizabeth loves me, and there are no two women I think more highly of or love more than you and her. After so many trials and hardships it is difficult to believe my good fortune. Surely the man I was merely months ago, does not deserve this. But I have not only Elizabeth to thank - you, dear Georgiana I am forever indebted to for your kind understanding and patience with me. I know, young lady, that Father and Mother would be proud of you.

Yours etc.

Cousin Fitzwilliam,

I am sure that you have opened this letter in a state of great anticipation, wondering perhaps if this missive is the harbringer of tragedy or joy. But cousin, put all your fears for me to rest for I have the greatest pleasure in writing to inform you that at long last, I am engaged to marry my dearest Elizabeth.

I know that you are smiling as you read this missive. You may indulge yourself in much-deserved congratulations in the part you played in bringing us together. Without your support of me even when I was rather difficult our engagement would not have been possible.

Your advice to me had been taken to heart. All I had to tell Elizabeth was that I loved her - that was all nothing else. And in return I heard the most wondrous thing - that she loved me as I do her. I have changed, and so has she. We both apologised profusely for our past disagreements, though I still believe that Elizabeth has nothing to be sorry for. The fault was all on my part. But that is all forgotten. We are to married at the same time as Bingley and his Jane. You must grant me the title of happiest man in the world, though Bingley strongly protests that the title belongs to him.

I thank you again and again. You must come to Netherfield as soon as you can. Elizabeth sends you her sincerest regards and all the love she can spare from me.

Yours etc.

P.S. It would be greatly appreciated if no word my engagement reaches Lady Catherine for the time being. I am still debating on the most diplomatic way on breaking the news to her.

P.P.S. You have my permission to break this news to W.

More letters of a similar nature followed to family and friends in Derbyshire, London and more. However Darcy hesitated over one of the most important letters.