Chapter 18

Votes and comments, please :)

They arrived at Rosings in that afternoon. As they drove by the lodgings opening into a nearby lane, they observed a rather large man in a clergyman's clothes. They were unable to see his face, as it was hidden by the very deep bow the man was making.

"Who on earth is that fellow?" asked Colonel Fitzwilliam, "and what is he doing in that ridiculous position?"

Though the man's face was hidden, Darcy knew who it was.

"I believe that is Aunt Catherine's clergyman, a Mr William Collins."

"Does he always behave like that to her?"

"I do not know. But we shall soon find out."

Ten minutes later found them sitting in the drawing room at Rosings with Lady Catherine, her daughter and her companion.

"It is wonderful to see you again, my dear nephews. We have missed you so much! Anne, especially has missed your company, Darcy," said Lady Catherine.

Darcy rolled his eyes, which Colonel Fitzwilliam saw. His cousin looked at him with sympathy.

"I am sure you have, aunt. What have you been doing with yourself in our absence?" said the Colonel, skillfully changing the subject.

"Oh, I have not been completely without company, Fitzwilliam," replied she, "Though they are not of our social standing, they are interesting enough. My clergyman has recently married. Her sister and friend have come to visit her and I invite them over quite often."

"Who did he marry?" asked Darcy, sure that it was the former Miss Charlotte Lucas.

"A Miss Lucas of Hertfodshire. Mr Collins found her when he was visiting relations there. Mrs Collins' father came to visit, a Sir William Lucas. He has left now, but her sister, Miss Maria Lucas and friends, Miss Elizabeth Bennet are to remain here for some time."

Darcy sat up straight and looked at his aunt.

"Who is Mrs Collins' friend?" he asked abruptly.

"A Miss Elizabeth Bennet. I believe she is Mr Collins' cousin as well."

Darcy heard nothing more, but got up and walked to the window. He stared at the grounds below. He sensed that Colonel Fitzwilliam was staring at him strangely but hardly noticed.

She is here?? his mind said disbelievingly. She is here, close to Rosings! She will be staying for some time and is not married??

His mind raced. He had to see her!

A servant entered and announced the arrival of Mr Collins.

He had not changed since Darcy had last seen him. The man was still short, rather large and sweaty and his fawning had, if such a thing was possible, increased upon coming into the presence of his patroness.

"My lady, as soon as I knew that your wonderful relations had arrived, I immediately came to pay them my respects. Mr Darcy, I am honoured to say, I have met before, in Hertfodshire. The excellent Colonel, I have not, but may I say that it gives me very great pleasure to see him."

The man bowed deeply towards them both.

Darcy looked at his cousin, smiling as he observed an expression of incredulousness on his face.

"And may I also say on behalf of my family and relations that we are very pleased that you are visiting your illustrious aunt . . . "

"Then let us thank your relations ourselves," said the Colonel. There was a sense of anticipation in his cousin's that Darcy did not miss. "Come man, why don't you go on ahead to tell them of our coming, and we shall join you later?"