Chapter 61

Comments and votes, please :)

"Will you ask Mr. Bennet today?" asked Bingley as he and Darcy made their way down the road to Longbourn.

"Yes. Unless Elizabeth has done otherwise, I doubt Mr. Bennet - or the rest of her family, for that matter, has any notion of our attachment."

"So you shall be the one to tell him?" said Bignely. He laughed a little to himself. "I believe the surprise he will experience when you ask him will be a sight to see."

"It would."

Darcy was slightly apprehensive at asking Elizabeth's father. He knew not what opinion the man had of him but he believed it was not very favorable. But he knew that Mr. Bennet loved his daughters very much, so perhaps he would support Elizabeth's decision in accepting Darcy as her husband.

He smiled. No matter. He would cross that hurdle when he got there. For the present, all that mattered was that he had Elizabeth's approval. Compared to that challenge, everything else was much simpler.

"We shall have to arrange for another walk, won't we, Darcy?"

"That is a good idea."

___________________________________________________

As soon as they entered, Bingley looked at Elizabeth so expressively, and shook hands with such warmth that told Elizabeth that Darcy had informed his friend of their attachment. He soon afterwards said aloud, "Mr. Bennet, have you no more lanes hereabouts in which Lizzy may lose her way again?"

For his own part, Darcy could do no more than smile discreetly at his beloved. She did as well and gave a careful nod towards her mother as Mrs. Bennet spoke.

"I advise Mr. Darcy, and Lizzy, and Kitty," said Mrs. Bennet, "to walk to Oakham Mount this morning. It is a nice long walk, and Mr. Darcy has never seen the view."

"It may do very well for the others," replied Bingley; "but I am sure it will be too much for Kitty. Won't it, Kitty?"

Darcy silently gave his friend his thanks and vocally expressed a great curiosity to see the view from the Mount. Elizabeth nodded and she and Jane proceeded upstairs to get ready, Mrs. Bennet following behind. Darcy could here her speak a little before her voice was lost to his ears.

Very soon, the two couples were making their way towards Oakham Mount. Only when they were out of sight of Longbourn, would they speak.

Jane was the first to do so. "Mr. Darcy, let me offer you my congratulations on your engagement to Lizzy," she said, the warmth in her voice adding another layer of her delight to her words.

By Jane's side, Bingley gave a brief bow to Elizabeth. "My congratulations must be given to you as well, dear sister," said he. "Nothing could give me greater pleasure than to see you attached to my friend."

Elizabeth laughed and blushed as she replied to Bingley. Still slightly embarrassed, Darcy could do nothing more than smile and express his own thanks.

This was but merely the beginning of a walk full of laughter and conversation, in which all four parties were perfectly at ease with each other that gave a hint of what joys were to come, for both couples and for them all as friends and relations. There was much to discuss; plans for a double wedding, events of the months past. Darcy even found the chance - and courage - to apologise to Jane for his actions in keeping her and Bingley apart when she had been in London. Jane forgave him heartily. Arriving at Oakham Mount, they spent several minutes admiring the view across the field, even to where Netherfield was visible in the distance. On the way back, the four split into twos and separated, content to walk in silence in the close company of each other.