Chapter 16

Votes and comments, please :)

Christmas soon came. Darcy did not see Jane again, though he imagined she was staying in London, probably with her Cheapside relatives. Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst never brought up the topic of her visit, nor did Darcy.

The festive season brought more invitations to balls and parties. Darcy attended many, partly to cheer up his friend, partly to help Georgiana overcome her shyness. He had a moderate success with both.

All too soon, it was the new year. Darcy silently resolved to take batter care of Georgiana. But he also knew that there had to be an heir for his estate so he resolved to try and find himself a wife.

Darcy wanted above everything else to find someone who would love him - not for Pemberley or his connections or his ten thousand a year but for himself; a lady who would marry him even if he was a beggar. Unfortunately, such women were rare - he had never met such a woman and he wondered if they were just a product of his imagination. Darcy had encountered many Miss Bingleys in his twenty-seven years, all who had eyes on his estate and income and didn't care about how he felt. He was beginning to lose hope, and would probably soon resign himself to marrying his cousin Anne de Bourgh.

And so another year had come and gone. Bingley became more like his usual self, but there were still spells of melancholy; his sister would not lose hope on gaining his attentions.

Time moved on.

____________________________________________________________

Darcy's cousin came to London in February. He was very glad to see him - Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam was full of good humour and was not above teasing his more taciturn relative.

"Darcy! How was your visit to Hertfodshire? Did you meet any lovely young ladies?" were his first words to him.

Darcy laughed and poured the Colonel a glass of wine. They were all alone in the house - Georgiana had left to see her music master, Mr and Mrs Hurst and Bingley were out in town and Miss Bingley had left without telling anyone where she was going, but she did not look very happy about it.

"I met an inordinate number of young ladies, but there was only one who I deem worthy of the title 'lovely'."

"Oh? This is a new development? May I inquire as to who this maiden is?"

Darcy smiled at his cousin but mentally kicked himself for letting himself into this situation. But his cousin would not let him change the subject so he had no choice but to continue.

"She is Miss Elizabeth Bennet. She is the second eldest in a family of five daughters."

Fitzwilliam smiled. When Darcy did not continue, he said, "And - ?"

"And she is beautiful, fond of lively conversation, very accomplished for she plays and sings very well."

"As well as Georgiana?"

"Not quite, but she plays with such ease and with an unaffected manner she is pleasure to hear."

"This is quite a first! Admiration of a woman from you, Darcy? Are you in love?"

"Why does everyone think that? No, I am not."

"Well, Darcy, if that is the case why are you here in London? Why did you not stay at Netherfield and enjoy this lady's company?"

"Bingley was beginning to form an attachment to a young lady so we came to London to convince him the error of his choice."

Fitzwilliam was silent for a while.

"There were very strong objections to the woman, cousin," added Darcy upon seeing his cousin's face. "Her position, her connections, that sort of thing."

"And what was Bingley's response to this?"

"He did not take it well, but it was in his best interests. The marriage would have been most inconvenient for him."

"Oh . . "

They soon talked of lighter things. Darcy was grateful for this change. He did not want to be reminded of his talk with Bingley, or his friend's unhappiness.

"Don't forget - we have to visit Aunt Catherine in March."

"Oh no. The Annual Visit - when Aunt keeps dropping hints about Anne and me, hours of listening to her talk, no I have not forgotten."

"I feel sorry for you cousin. That is the advantage of being a younger son - you do not have the pressure to marry."

Darcy laughed.

"So when would you like to leave?"

"Late March - it will make the visit as short as possible."

"Yes, I agree. There is nothing to hold us there, is there."

"No, there isn't."