Chapter 42

Comments and votes, please :)

If Mr and Mrs Gardiner had not invited him to dine at their house in Cheapside, Darcy would have probably left immediately after the wedding. He had not been to Pemberley for almost a year, and when he had returned, he had left after four days. Spending more time with the Gardiners was not unappealing though, and he delayed his departure until Wednesday.

For the first time, Darcy went to Cheapside, and for the first time in his life, he entered one of the houses. Gracechurch Street, though the houses were not so large, was orderly and neat. The inhabitants respected everyone's privacy, occasionally greeting their neighbours when they saw one another.

A man of Darcy's standing had not often ventured into their lives, but though he was given some curious glances, he was undisturbed. Finding the Gardiner's house, he knocked on the door. The servant opened it and announced his arrival.

Mr and Mrs Gardiner had been sitting in the drawing room with their children, who shyly looked at the floor. Mrs Gardiner introduced each of them, two girls and two boys to Darcy, gently prompting them to greet him.

"Children, this is our friend, Mr Darcy. Mr Darcy, this is Alice, Kate, William and Robert," said Mrs Gardiner, going down the line. As each of their names was called, each child curtsied or bowed.

These children, the eldest cannot be more than eight, already have better manners than some of their cousins, thought he. There was ample evidence of the Gardiner's good parenting. Darcy wondered just how Jane and Elizabeth had turned out so well in comparison to their younger sisters. Perhaps Mr and Mrs Gardiner had a hand in their upbringing?

Bending slightly so that his tall frame was not so imposing, he returned the favour. When he looked up, he observed Mr and Mrs Gardiner sharing a smile.

"Dinner shall be ready soon," said Mr Gardiner. "In the meantime, children, don't make too much noise while you are playing."

Darcy watched as the children quietly returned to the activities his arrival had interrupted. Alice and Kate brought their dolls to little Robert and enacted stories they had made up while William piled blocks on top of each other with serious concentration.

"They are wonderful children," said he to Mrs Gardiner.

"Children are the hope of our world's future," added Mr Gardiner with pride as he lovingly watched Kate give her doll to Robert.

"But they need good parents to guide them in the first years of their lives," said Mrs Gardiner.

"I almost envy your children, Mrs Gardiner, "said Darcy honestly, "My mother died in Georgiana's birth and my father joined her in Heaven five years ago. At least I have some memory of my mother, vague though it may be. Georgiana unfortunately does not share that pleasure. I have had to take over my parent's position in bringing her up."

"And a wonderful job you have done of it, sir," responded Mr Gardiner. "For one who has had few examples to learn from, you have done very well as a parent."

Mrs Gardiner smiled at the young man. "Yes, it would seem you have been more of a father to Miss Darcy than an elder brother. If you had children of your own, you would make an excellent father."

"I would need a wife first," replied Darcy, laughing.

Mrs Gardiner smiled at his remark. "My joy at Alice's birth was increased fourfold, and now my happiness in marriage is complete."

"If you would count Jane and Elizabeth, one could almost say we have had six children to care for," said Mr Gardiner. "They visited us frequently when they were younger, but the younger girls have preferred to remain at home with my sister."