Chapter 29

Votes and comments, please :)

The next day dawned. It was one of those typical summer days; bright and warm. None of this lifted Darcy's dark mood, however. The Colonel's words last night had again thrown him into a mire of depression, self-pity and self-loathing, just when he thought that perhaps the pain dating from that day in Kent had diminished ever so slightly.

Bingley had accompanied his two sisters and brother-in-law to the shops. Miss Bingley and Mrs Hurst were fine ladies, but in a habit of spending more than they ought. They had extended an invitation to Georgiana and Darcy to join them but as Darcy declined, Georgiana also could not go.

From his usual chair in the library he could hear the sounds of people going about their lives. Carriages rolled past, pedestrians chatted gaily, peddlers crying their wares. Their lives sounded happy, meaningful. Darcy's life, however, was bleak and empty.

One of the doors to the library was opened. Darcy could see his cousin standing in the doorway holding a rapier. Behind him stood Georgiana with a worried look on her face. Darcy turned away ignoring them until the Colonel spoke.

"You have been sitting in this room for too long. Come, why don't you come and fence with me?" Though the tone was casual, there was something in the Colonel's voice that implied that the question was not a request, but rather, and order.

"No, thank you."

"I insist." It was now clear that it was an order, and being a man of military background, the Colonel was accustomed to being obeyed.

Darcy began to refuse again, then gave up. It was obvious that his stubborn cousin was determined to spar with him so he might as well get it over and done with.

"Very well then." He rose from his seat and brushed past his cousin and sister and headed towards the ballroom. Colonel Fitzwilliam followed behind.

As he left, he fancied he heard Georgiana quietly say to the Colonel, "Don't hurt him, Richard," and his cousin replying, "If all goes as planned, the only one to hurt Darcy will be himself." But lately, his eyes had been playing tricks on him, seeing her when obviously she was not there. Perhaps his ears were also beginning to deceive him.

He entered the ballroom, the only place large enough for such exercise and chose a rapier. Behind him, the Colonel closed the door - and locked it. Darcy did not notice, but removed his outer clothing, his cousin following suit. Once ready, the two men saluted and faced each other.

Darcy was certainly not in the mood for games - all he wanted was to be left alone. Unwilling to begin, he remained on the defensive. But it seemed the Colonel had also decided to go on the defensive and so none of them made a move to attack.

After some minutes, Fitzwilliam said, "Aren't you going to attack, coward?"

Darcy turned red at this but made no move.

The Colonel continued to taunt him.

"You really are pathetic, cousin.You are not man enough to face criticism and try to change your ways. Are you so easily humbled by words?"

At this, Darcy felt his carefully kept control slipping away.

"Stupid fool - you, the man who has everything one could wish for cannot even procure the good opinion of one lady!" He waved his foil mockingly at his opponent.

This had gone too far. Stung into the offensive, Darcy angrily lunged at his cousin, who easily parried the blow and backed away. He attacked again and again. Each blow was blocked and the Colonel laughed and taunted his cousin every step of the way.