Chapter 57

Comments and votes, please :)

It was a peaceful evening in London. Colonel Fitzwilliam had gone to dine with some of his friends and so Darcy was alone in the library reading. But the tranquility was broken by the sound of a carriage pulling up in front of his townhouse.

With a sigh, Darcy put the book to one side and went to the drawing room to meet this unexpected visitor.

The servant came in and announced, "Lady Catherine de Bourgh, sir."

Darcy barely had time to cover his surprise when his aunt sailed into the room behind the servant. Her expression was dark and grim which immediately put Darcy on his guard. The servant left, shutting the door behind him.

He knew very well that his aunt rarely came to town, preferring to remain at Rosings. Whatever had drawn her away to London at this time of the year was certainly something of great importance.

"Lady Catherine, this is an unexpected pleasure - "

"We can dispense with the pleasantries, nephew," she said sharply, cutting him off. "I am here to save you, perhaps from yourself."

Darcy remained silent, his puzzlement increasing by the minute. Without waiting for an offer, Lady Catherine sat down, indicating that Darcy join her. He did, keeping his features composed while his thoughts turned over, trying to find a reason for her visit and her brusque manner.

What the devil is going on?

"What are your duties?" asked Lady Catherine.

"I beg your pardon?" replied Darcy, caught off-guard by this unexpected question.

"What are your duties, where do they lie?" she said impatiently.

Darcy became even more confused at the direction the conversation was taking. He tried to form an appropriate, yet honest, answer.

Lady Catherine continued when Darcy did not speak. "What do you think is important? The obligation you owe to our family, our family's honour? Or do you intend to put your own interests first?"

"What do you mean, what are you speaking of?" asked Darcy

"I am referring to what I sincerely hope is a malicious rumour, about your supposed, forthcoming engagement to Miss Elizabeth Bennet."

Darcy's shock was immense, yet he kept it hidden.

"I know it must be a most scandalous falsehood, industrially circulated by the Bennets themselves; but every tale has some foundation. Do you have any affection for her?" she demanded.

He was at a loss as to how to respond. There was no way he would reply honestly, yet it went against his principles to lie.

Carefully, he said, "She is an acquaintance of mine."

This did not satisfy the lady.

"But do you have any feelings for her beyond mere friendship?" she pressed.

She has no right to pry in such a manner into my own business!

"Whatever I feel for Miss Bennet, it is no concern of yours!" he shot back.

"It is a concern of mine," replied Lady Catherine, voice rising. "As your aunt and future mother-in-law, I have a right to know!"

Darcy sighed inwardly. For several years now, ever since he had come of age, Lady Catherine had kept pressuring him to marry her daughter, and for several years, Darcy had avoided confronting his aunt over the fact that he did not want to marry Miss Anne de Bourgh. It seemed the time had finally come.