Chapter 33

Votes and comments, please :)

The journey to Derbyshire was long, as well as hot, it being summer and all. But it was also uneventful; the moderate pace at which he travelled nearly lulled Darcy into sleep a few times along the way.

Finally, after many days journey, the village of Lambton came into view. Behind it, Darcy could see the facade of Pemberley house.

Home.

Darcy reined in his horse, tired. He did not feel up to riding through the village, where he would be the object of much scrutiny and observation. He had travelled this road many times and he was sick of it, wanting some change.

Well, why not?

He turned the horse's head around to approach Pemberley from behind.

______________________________________________________

After fifteen minutes hard riding, he slowed and strayed off the path. The afternoon sun was warm, and his dark green coat did not help matters much. Darcy was tired, the horse was tired, but they were nearly there. He could see Pemberley through the trees.

There was sunlight glinting off the lake. The waters looked cool, refreshing. Darcy sighed, wishing he dared swim. But it was not a proper thing for a gentleman to do. If one wanted to swim, Brighton was the place for it.

The water was very inviting though . . .

Who cares? These are my own grounds. I can do whateer I please!

He nudged the horse into a tired gallop towards the lake. A few metres from the edge he halted and dismounted. Leaving the animal there to graze, he put his hat and cane down on the green grass. Darcy walked towards the water's edge, removing his jacket as he did so. He sat down and began to undo his cravat.

As he did so, he wondered if all had been well at the estate in his prolonged absence. With a feeling of guilt, he realised he had been away for nearly a year.

I would have returned sooner, had not my attention been focussed . . . elsewhere . . . somewhere . . . someone.

Get your mind off her.

Vest, boots, all were removed until he stood, clad only in his shirt and breeches.

He looked at the calm water for a moment, then dived in.

The surface was warmed by the sun, but below it was cool and refreshing. Darcy swam through the cold water, a brief respite from duty and from the tumult of his tormented and unhappy feelings, before lack of air forced him to resurface.

The next quarter of an hour was spent in a similar fashion. For a few moments, Darcy could forget all his worries and responsibilities and just enjoy himself.

It was those same worries and responsibilities that brought Darcy back to the present moment. The day could not be spent in sport - he had things to do. That business with Mr Cage for example . . . oh, what was it again?

Yes, I really need to be heading home now.

Reluctantly, Darcy exited the water and gathered his clothing. He went to fetch his horse, only to see it gone. He searched the nearby area, and sighed with relief as he saw one of the groundsmen leading it back.

"Sir? Are you all right, sir?" asked he, concerned.

"I am quite fine. Thankyou," added Darcy. He began walking in the direction of Pemberley House. The groundsman followed behind, leading the horse.

They approached the trees, Darcy carrying his clothing in his right and his hat in his left. The slight breeze was easily felt through his wet shirt and it cooled him a little.