Chapter 11

Comments and votes, please?

Darcy rarely left the house between his encounter with Wickham and the Netherfield Ball. He did not wish to go to Meryton in case he should come across him again, nor did he want to go with Bingley and his sisters to Longbourn to invite the Bennets to the ball, for he did not know what Wickham had told Elizabeth or how much she believed his lies.

____________________________________________________________

No hint of Wickham's plans had reached any of the Netherfield party. Darcy was dressed in black for the ball, but was still debating whether he would attend. He decided that if Wickham did come, he would remain upstairs, but if Wickham did not, then he would join in.

He stood in the room above the entrance and watched as guests arrived. He saw many carriages, gentlemen and ladies, but the officers he saw no sign.

Finally the red-coats arrived, laughing and joking amongst themselves. In twos and threes they entered Netherfield house and Darcy scanned each face quickly.

He did not find Wickham.

Darcy thankfully turned away from the window, but then turned back as another carriage pulled up.

Mr Bennet stepped out of the carriage, followed by his entire family. He looked closer, searching for one face in particular.

He found Miss Elizabeth just as she looked up towards him.

Darcy averted his gaze. When he looked back, she had disappeared.

Well, maybe he would join in.

He left the room and went downstairs.

____________________________________________________________

Darcy stood at the back of the room, near a group of officers. He searched the group, fearful he might have missed Wickham, but his attention was diverted when he saw Bingley enter the room, with Jane on his left and Elizabeth on his right. He watched as one of the officers approached the trio and speak to Elizabeth.

Suddenly the officer and Elizabeth looked directly at him. He knew they were talking about him, and most likely Wickham as well. Perhaps the officer was informing Elizabeth of Wickham's absence.

Darcy moved away from his position. From a safer and less obvious place he looked at Elizabeth.

She was breathtakingly lovely in her simple ivory gown. There were small flowers in her dark hair, and around her neck was a cross. Darcy wondered how he could have ever thought Elizabeth 'just tolerable'.

How long had he been calling her Elizabeth? Not Miss Bennet, not Miss Elizabeth but just Elizabeth. He said her name under his breath, reveling in how pleasant it sounded.

Elizabeth walked over to her friend, Miss Lucas. She smiled and laughed, but it soon disappeared when a man came up to her as the music for the dancing began.

Darcy recognised her cousin, the clergyman. His name escaped him, but he remembered that the man was to choose one of the Miss Bennets for his wife.

He looked as Elizabeth. She did not seem pleased to have her cousin for her dancing partner. Nor could he blame her - the man seemed to have two left feet, and often moved in the wrong direction.

Darcy kept moving around the room in order to keep Elizabeth in his sights. He tried hard not to laugh at her bumbling partner.

When the dance ended (Darcy could not help but notice she looked relieved when she and her partner separated), he thought about asking her to dance. She had declined him twice. Maybe this time she would accept him.