Chapter 35

Comments and votes, please :)

True to his word, Mr Gardiner arrived at Pemberley at noon. Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley eagerly awaited his arrival in the drawing room, valiantly bearing Miss Bingley's snide comments and complaints about their guests for dinner. Thankfully, the entrance of Mr Gardiner silenced her at once, and after greetings were made the men, excluding Mr Hurst who was having lunch, set off for the river.

They decided upon one of the spots Darcy had pointed out to Mr Gardiner two days before. Before long, Mr Gardiner, Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley were comfortably settled on the bank, talking while waiting for a bite. Unfortuantely, the fish did not wish to oblige them - many smaller ones were caught but had to be released - and it was nearly an hour after they had first cast their lines before Bingley drew his back, landing a large trout.

"I wonder if that fine specimen of a fish will grace the table tonight?" asked Mr Gardiner.

Darcy thought about it. "I think it will. My cook could do wonders with it." He turned his attention back to his own line, which stubbornly refused to catch anything.

"That is good to hear," said Mr Gardiner. "I must confess I enjoy a good meal heartily."

Bingley looked up from his catch. "Hurst does as well, though I think he eats more than is healthy for him."

"When you get to my age, young sir, the simple pleasures become very dear," laughed Mr Gardiner. "As long as one eats healthily, a little indulgence won't do any harm."

"Outdoor excersise won't harm a person either. My cousin is of a delicate constitution, and spends much of her time indoors. I believe it would do her a great deal of good if she were to venture out of the house a bit more often, like your niece," said Darcy. "Miss Bennet, I hope was well this morning?" he asked as casually as possible.

Mr Gardiner looked at him with a questioning look. He smiled, as if knowing something Darcy did not know. Bingley by this time, had re-baited his line and cast it out. The splash was unnaturally loud in the silence following Darcy's question.

"In actual fact, I began to worry this morning that she might be coming down with some illness or other. Don't worry," he hastily continued upon seeing Darcy's very concerned look, "she assured me that she was quite well and that she would be keeping tonight's engagement. I only thought so because for the last few days she has been unusually silent and this morning she remarked that she had stayed awake two full hours thinking about - " Mr Gardiner broke off. "I know not what would have kept her awake for so long for she did not tell me."

This did nothing to alleviate Darcy's concern, and he inquired as to when these symptoms had begun.

"Come to think of it, that afternoon when we came upon you while looking at your estate."

This threw Darcy into deep thought. He was certain Elizabeth was not ill, (if she was, he vowed to do everything in his power to help her recover) and somehow knew that, to her, his sudden change in behaviour must have seemed most strange indeed. Add to that the letter he had written to her months ago, and her feelings towards him must be be very confused indeed.

But what did she feel for him? Certainly not hate, was it friendship? More than friendship?

Is it even right for me to wish more from her? thought he. God knows how much I love her, should I ask for more on her part?

He cringed away from the thought, as realistic as it was. Did she only wish for friendship when he felt so much more towards her?

Mr Gardiner let out an exclamation of delight as he reeled in a fish whose size challenged Bingley's catch. Darcy and Bingley congratulated him as it was landed and expressed hopes for more sport.