Chapter 55

Comments and votes, please :)

It was Monday evening and Darcy paused for a few moments before knocking on the door of the Gardiner's house in Gracechurch Street He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and smiled as the face of Elizabeth floated before him.

The pleasure of this evening would be complete if she was also here, he thought wistfully.

His smile broadened in amusement at himself, then he made his presence known.

The servant opened the door and seeing who the visitor was, immediately let him in. The Gardiner family soon followed and greeted him warmly, and the adults were soon pleasantly engaged in conversation, while the four children were aptly occupied in their games.

"And how are you today, Mr. Darcy?" asked Mrs. Gardiner. "I hope your business is not too taxing."

"Indeed, it is quite the opposite," he replied. "Merely a few short visits to my attorney and banker and then I am quite finished."

"Then why on earth did you come to London for so long?" inquired Mr. Gardiner. "Unless your stay here is also one of leisure as well as business."

"My cousin, Colonel Richard Fitzwilliam is also in town and so my visit is extended to spend time in his company before he is called away again," said Darcy. It was mostly true though he decided to leave out the rest involving Bingley. "If I were to take a sojourn away from my affairs I would go to Derbyshire. I find it much more pleasant and restful than London, which, after a while, seems to me most confining."

"I will not wholly disagree with that assessment," said Mr. Gardiner. "Thankfully, my family is able to travel to Hertfordshire relatively frequently and now and then we can go on longer trips, such as our latest journey with Elizabeth to Derbyshire where had the pleasure of making your acquaintance."

"I would be delighted if you would to come again."

"Perhaps, when circumstance allows," replied Mrs. Gardiner. "I cannot think of a more perfect place to visit - or live, for that matter, than your beautiful estate."

Darcy smiled at the compliment and thanked her quite modestly.

"Why so humble, sir?" she said teasingly. "I speak nothing but the truth. Pemberley is a wonderful place, and Mr. Gardiner and Lizzy are of my opinion. Why, she declared she would be happy to spend her whole life in Derbyshire!"

It pleased him greatly to know that his love felt a deep emotion for his home. A pity it was not her home as well as his, for the addition of Elizabeth to Derbyshire, or, more specifically, Pemberley, would have completed the happiness he already felt whenever he was home.

"I am glad she approves of it, for her approval is given so rarely that it is well worth earning."

"Why do you say that?" asked Mr. Gardiner.

Darcy blushed, then tried to explain. "I merely meant that she takes pride in her intelligence, which she deserves to do, and can be perhaps more critical of places and people than her elder sister."

"Ah," said Mr. Gardiner. "It is true that Lizzy has a quickness of mind, but sometimes she can be too hasty in her judgements of people. She takes pride in her intelligence, and so will sometimes be over-confident in her assumptions. But," added Mr. Gardiner, "she is not so proud as to not admit to her mistakes. She will forgive, and forget any past conflict."

"Yes, once she has made a decision about someone, it can be quite difficult to convince her otherwise," said Mrs. Gardiner. "I remember during our visit to Longbourn in Christmas, speaking to Elizabeth about Mr. Wickham. At that point in time, her resolutions concerning Mr. Wickham and yourself, Mr. Darcy, seemed fixed in stone but when confronted with her error, she was quick to change her opinion.

"Though she may make fun of other's absurdities, Elizabeth is deeply serious about the power people can hold over others. She believes those is power are in positions requiring much responsibility, and if they abuse that position, they are undeserving of the privileges they hold, and happiness. In the matter of love, she may not give her heart easily, but once she does, she has a great capacity for affection."

"Yes, I remember last year she walked all of three miles to Netherfield to visit her sister who was ill," said Darcy.

"Ah, yes her spirit will never be restrained," said Mr. Gardiner. "Her liveliness and wit enchant the hearts of many men - whether she returns their affections is another question entirely. Jane may be as sweet as an angel, but Lizzy has a fiery spirit that sets her aside from many of today's young ladies."

Darcy listened to all of this enraptured. He thought about it all through the dinner, which was announced soon after.

Elizabeth was certainly one of those 'intricate' characters they had spoken of long ago, but the intricacies were gradually becoming understandable to him.

Where do we stand with each other now he wondered.

He spoke again with Mr. Gardiner in the gentleman's study.

"I thank you for the loan of this," said Darcy, handing Mr. Gardiner the book he had borrowed.

"You are very welcome," replied Mr. Gardiner, placing it back on the shelf. "Did you enjoy it?"

Darcy acknowledged that he did.

"Then you and my niece have much in common for she also enjoyed it immensely."

Unsure how to answer this, Darcy replied, "I thank you, sir."

Perhaps sensing his discomfort, Mr. Gardiner changed the subject and they spoke a great deal about fishing and books. At length, however, the hour grew late and Darcy took his leave of them.

As he left the study, Mr. Gardiner said, "Mr. Darcy, I hope that you will not think me too forward if I tell you a saying I had heard once."

Curious, Darcy asked what it was.

" 'A difficult courtship, leads to a strong marriage.' "

At these words, Darcy smiled.

"I thank you sir. It was most welcome."

Mrs. Gardiner also came to bid him farewell.

"A pleasure, as always, Mr. Darcy."

"Likewise, Mrs. Gardiner. I hope we shall meet again very soon."

"We shall see you at the wedding of Mr. Bingley and Jane?" asked Mr. Gardiner.

"Of course!" said Darcy smiling. "I would not miss it for the world."

With more farewells, he left them, noting on his departure a tower of blocks hidden in one corner. Despite a doll leaning rather heavily against it, it did not topple.

He pondered over what he had learnt on this very enlightening visit to the Gardiners.

There was something else, he realised.

I have power over so many, but only she has power over me.

Darcy smiled.

I wouldn't want it any other way.