Chapter 10

Comments and votes, please?

On Saturday morning, Miss Elizabeth sent a message to Longbourn asking for the carriage to return home. Darcy wasn't too surprised when their mother wrote back saying that the carriage could not be spared before Tuesday. But in the end as they were very eager to leave, Bingley reluctantly agreed to lend them the carriage on Sunday.

To Mr Darcy it was welcome intelligence - Elizabeth had been at Netherfield long enough. She attracted him more than he liked - and Miss Bingley was uncivil to her, and more teasing than usual to himself. He wisely resolved to be particularly careful that no sign of admiration should now escape him, nothing that could elevate her with the hope of influencing his felicity; sensible that if such an idea had been suggested, his behaviour during the last day must have material weight in confirming or crushing it. Steady to his purpose, he scarcely spoke ten words to her through the whole of Saturday, and though they were at one time left by themselves for half an hour, he adhered most conscientiously to his book, and would not even look at her, however sorely he was tempted to.

Bingley seemed as if he would miss their company, and went so far as to bid them adieu standing outside in the cold morning while the rest remained indoors at breakfast.

Darcy stood at the window and watched as Bingley leaned into the carriage, then stepped back as the carriage drove away.

"How pleasant it is to have one's house to one's self again!" sighed Miss Bingley, sitting at the table.

"But I fear Mr Darcy is missing Miss Eliza Bennet's pert opinions and 'fine eyes'," she added.

"Quite the contrary I assure you," replied Darcy.

But he still didn't turn away from his position, watching the carriage carrying Miss Eliza Bennet away.

____________________________________________________________

True to his word, Bingley began to make arrangements for the long-awaited Netherfield ball. An eight-piece orchestra was hired from London, orders to the florists were sent.

During this time, Darcy could tell that his friend was missing Miss Jane Bennet. He often referred to her in conversation and often expressed a wish of going to Longbourn to see her. This was prevented by his sisters, and sometimes by Darcy as well.

Finally one day, Bingley was firmly resolved on seeing the Miss Bennets. Darcy was invited to join him and he accepted. A morning ride would be refreshing.

Maybe he would even see Miss Elizabeth.

____________________________________________________________

As they rode through Meryton, they were surprised to see all five Miss Bennets in the company of a man who would was be a clergyman by his clothing, talking with an officer and another man.

When they came within sight of the group, Darcy saw one of the sisters nudge Miss Jane and looked pointedly at Bingley. The man in question dismounted, led his horse over to the group and greeted them. Darcy remained on his horse.

He observed Miss Elizabeth and was beginning to determine not to fix his eyes on Elizabeth, when they were suddenly arrested by the sight of the stranger.

Mr Wickham had not changed much in the past year. He was a little thinner, perhaps, but that was all. His eyes though - now Darcy could see a predatory gleam in them, and he wondered how he had been able to miss it before.

Shock and anger were his first feelings. The sounds of conversation and general noise were blocked out. The images of everyone - even Miss Elizabeth - disappeared. Only Wickham remained.