Chapter 5

Comments and votes, please?

In the days following the Lucas Lodge party, Darcy often found his thoughts wandering back to the bright-eyed lady. He did not know the reason for his preoccupation with Miss Elizabeth, and when he tried to think of one, he couldn't.

Bingley had accepted an invitation to dine with the officers of the regiment that evening, but as the gentlemen were about to leave the house, the sky turned dark and they were obliged to take the carriage instead of riding.

It rained quite heavily and Darcy was glad to be inside the carriage, especially when he saw some poor souls having to endure the elements; a farmer running with his drenched coat over his head, a gentleman caught without his umbrella, a lady riding on a horse.

Colonel Forster knew Darcy's cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam as a colleague and was able to give him news on his cousin's whereabouts and doings. Apart from that, most of the officers seemed to enjoy talking about the various ladies of the neighbourhood.

By the time the three gentlemen arrived back at Netherfield, it was quite dark. Bingley and Hurst went straight indoors, while Darcy remained in the stable to speak with the groom. While he was there, he saw a horse that did not belong in Bingley's stable, and he wondered who had come to Netherfield.

He went into the drawing to see an surprising sight. Bingley was speaking to his sister quite forcefully, actually berating her. Bingley was usually quite good-humoured and rarely became angry.

"Why on earth did you invite her in such wet weather?" said Bingley angrily.

His sister tried to soothe him.

"The day was quite fine when I sent the invitation. And though she said the carriage was unavailable, I am sure it could have been spared for such a day. Do not worry, I have sent her family a note informing them that Jane will stay the night, and be home in the morning."

"Miss Jane Bennet is here?" asked Darcy.

"Yes," said Miss Bingley. "I invited her here for dinner, but she came on horseback and has caught a slight cold. She has rooms for tonight, and I am sure she will be quite well tomorrow."

"But what if she isn't?" said Bingley.

"Then she shall remain here until she is so," Mrs. Hurst replied. "It is our fault; we should never have invited her today. But Jane should never have accepted it with such bad weather."

Miss Bingley sniffed disdainfully. "The mother would have made her come through hail and storm."

Miss Bennet was given rooms not far from Darcy's and her coughing kept him from sleep. At first, he was merely annoyed, then as the night progressed and the coughing more severe, he began to worry. He listened, wondering if he should awake everyone else up and summon a doctor.

Finally, he put on a robe and quietly walked to Miss Bennet's room. He opened the door, and looked to see if she was in need of assistance. He waited for some time, until he had assured himself that the invalid was sleeping peacefully then went back to his own bed.

The next morning Miss Bennet had not gotten any better and was too ill to get out of bed. Another note was sent, from Jane to Elizabeth saying that she would be remaining at Netherfield for a period of time.

Having eaten his breakfast early, Darcy decided to walk in the grounds. He walked in the direction of the trees, and was very surprised when he came across Miss Elizabeth Bennet, her hair untidy, bonnet in hand, her shoes and hem of her dress covered in mud. Apart from this, he noticed that her eyes were very bright.

She has walked three miles through he mud on foot and alone?!

"Miss Bennet!" said Darcy in surprise and a little pleasure.