Chapter 20

Votes and comments, please :)

Colonel Fitzwilliam again expressed his intention of visiting the Parsonage again at breakfast the next morning, an intention that was responded with questions from Lady Catherine and silence from his two cousins, one because she had no interest in it and the other because he had a very great interest in it.

Now that he knew what he felt for Elizabeth and his cousin, Darcy tried to control these feelings. The jealousy for the Colonel was not too difficult - all he had to do was remind himself that his cousin was his cousin and all his cousin had done for him over the years and that jealousy for relations was not a gentlemanly thing.

As for his . . . love for Elizabeth, well, that was slightly more difficult.

He remembered how he had seen her yesterday morning and wondered if she would be there again today. He felt as if he did not go the day without seeing her fair countenace, he would be most unhappy.

But is was not within the limits of propriety that a gentleman such as him should purposely walk to meet a lady. So he told himself not to follow through with his desire.

Twenty minutes later found himself walking along the place where he had seen her yesterday, telling himself he was merely walking for his own health. For his physical health or mental health he did not know.

She was there.

Elizabeth was walking off the path, looking up at the tree canopy above. She did not notice him until she was but a few feet from him. Only then did she look back, and when she saw him there, she stopped and frowned slightly.

"Good morning, Miss Bennet," said Darcy, lifting his hat.

"Mr Darcy," she replied without any emotion, "Good morning."

She nodded to him and made as if to continue on her walk.

"I hope you are well," said he, unable to think of anything to say.

Why, whenever I am around her, my tongue seems to lose its will to move?

"I am quite well, thank you."

"And your family?"

"They are also quite well, so my sister tells me when she writes."

An awkward silence fell after this, with only the chirping of the birds flying above heard.

"Do you often walk in the park?" asked he.

"Tolerably often. Whenever I feel the need for solitude I come here. This walk in fact, is perhaps my favourite haunt."

Darcy wished to say that this walk was also his favourite which he used to escape the questionings of his aunt, but his tongue would not respond.

Elizabeth walked past him and did not look back. Darcy altered his position and walked with her. She glanced at him strangely but did not protest.

"I take it to believe that you enjoy solitary walks?" he pressed, looking at her. After some moments, he told his eyes to adjust their present position and reluctantly they did so.

"Yes, I do in fact."

"Even if it is through fields after the rains?" he continued, referring to her walk to Netherfield. At that time he had thought it was rather shocking - now all he could remember was how lovely she had looked when he had met her in the garden.

At this remark, she looked at him from beneath her dark curls. He attempted to gauge her thoughts, unsuccessfully.

"If the occasion justifies it, and I believe that the health of a sister certainly justifies it. But I suppose, you have a different opinion."