Chapter 15

Votes and comments, please :)

Bingley remained alone in the library for most of the afternoon, but roused himself enough to join them at dinner. Darcy saw that melancholy had replaced his friend's usual cheerfulness and for once, attempted to hold a conversation with his guests. He was careful to keep the topics away from Hertfodshire, Netherfield and marriage.

After dinner, Georignana was prevailed on to play for them, but she was shy and declined to. Though Darcy was eager to hear how his sister fared with her music, he did not push her. Georgiana's shyness was beginning to become almost irritating, but he could think of no way to bring her out of her shell.

They all tried to distract Bingley, including him in their conversations, asking for his opinion. But Bingley merely replied or didn't even answer at times until the question was repeated. He soon excused himself and retired for the night, though it was still quite early. His sisters and brother-in-law followed suit and left Darcy alone with Georgiana.

Only now, in their privacy would Darcy embrace his sister. She laughed into his jacket and kissed him.

"It has been so long!" she whispered. "Though you did write often it is not the same as actually seeing you."

"I know, dearest," he replied. He kissed her then held her at arm's length.

"I do believe you have grown taller. You look more and more like Mother every day."

She blushed at the compliment.

"So, brother, how was Hertfodshire? Did you grow tired of Sir William? Did you meet any nice ladies? Will you return there, and if so, may I accompany you?"

Darcy laughed at the barrage of questions and sat down.

"Hertfodshire was quite pleasant, but I still believe Pemberley and Derbyshire are the dearest places in the world. The people I would say that I learnt to tolerate them after some weeks." Wanting to forget the place - and a certain inhabitant - he changed the subject and inquired after Georgiana's studies and her companion, Mrs Annesly.

"I like her a great deal. She is firm, but kind and praises me generously though I do not deserve it. And - I believe she can be trusted," she added, looking at him.

Does she still blame herself for the incident at Ramsgate? It is more my fault than hers; I should have told her of Wickham's misconduct - she should not have to bear this guilt.

"Georgiana, I do hope you are no longer blaming yourself for that incident. He is a cunning wretch and is an adept in deceit. It is not your fault you were taken in; you should no longer blame yourself."

"I no longer do - but the memory is still uncomfortable."

"I am glad to hear it. Worry not - we shall never see or hear from him again."

Darcy had decided that telling her of his meeting with Wickham would do more harm than good, and it was of no importance if Georgiana did know he had seen Wickham in Herfodshire.

They fell silent for a while, until Georgiana asked,

"Why is Chares so melancholy? He was such a pleasant, cheerful man when I saw him last. Did something terrible happen in Hertfodshire?"

Darcy started at this, unsure of what to tell her.

"Will you forgive me if I say that I will tell you at a later date, Georgiana?"

"Oh, well, yes."

He wanted to confide in her, but while he believed - no, knew - that his persuading Bingley of Jane's indifference was in his best interests, he feared that Georgiana would not share his opinion.