"I presume your family, save Jane, are unaware of our engagement?" asked Darcy as he and Elizabeth walked behind Jane and Bingley, their pose a reflection of their own, with Elizabeth's hand in his.

"They are, but I think all shall be revealed tonight," replied Elizabeth.

"Then I shall ask for your father's permission after dinner, then?"

"Yes. But be discreet about it, for I will tell Mama myself, once you have left."

Darcy didn't protest against this arrangement. Whatever Mrs. Bennet's reaction might be to the news of Elizabeth's acceptance of his proposal, he imagined it would be better if he was not present to see it, and he well understood Elizabeth's desire to tell her mother at a time when he would not be around.

"Elizabeth, what does your father think of me?" asked Darcy suddenly.

Elizabeth frowned slightly as she thought. "I am afraid that the only knowledge Papa has of you is through me," she admitted slowly. "And you know very well what I thought I felt about you before. But I was mistaken, and if I tell that to him, then he will understand."

There was something in her voice that Darcy did not miss. "Elizabeth," he said, stopping in his walk and looking at her. "Do not feel guilty about expressing your dislike of me to your father. That is in the past, and have little bearing on the present."

She smiled at him. "Thank you for such sentiments. I am now more worried about how I will convince him that my feelings have changed."

"I am sure that will not be as difficult as you believe it to be."

The inevitable happened as they drew even closer together. Darcy marveled at the sensation of her mouth on his and reluctantly drew away when his embarrassment overcame the pleasure of such an experience.

By now it was time to return to Longbourn. Darcy and Elizabeth caught up with Jane and Bingley and arranged themselves in a manner more fitting two casual and indifferent acquaintances, then proceeded back to the house.

________________________________________________

In the evening when Darcy observed Mr. Bennet arise and go to his library, he followed him and knocked firmly on the door. Mr. Bennet called for his visitor to enter and Darcy did so, closing the door behind him.

It would have seemed that Mr. Bennet had been intending to settle down in front of the fire with a book but upon Darcy's entrance, he got up, an expression of astonishment on his features.

It was Mr. Bennet who spoke first. "Mr. Darcy this is a surprise. Can I be of service to you?"

The man's tone was perhaps more formal and cold than Darcy remembered it to be. Darcy stood, uncertain of what to say. He did not know Mr. Bennet very well and had never exchanged any words with him apart from the occasional greeting. How he was to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage he did not know.

"Mr. Bennet, I have come to ask for your permission on a matter of great importance," he began slightly hesitantly.

Mr. Bennet frowned. "Oh? And what might that be, sir?"

Darcy took a deep breath. "I am not quite certain how to say this, sir, but I have come to ask for your permission to wed your daughter, Elizabeth."

Under any other circumstances, the expression on Mr. Bennet's face would have been comical, but the matter was too delicate to warrant Darcy's laughter. Mr. Bennet's eyes widened and he stared at the younger man with an expression of a man who had been caught completely off-guard.

"I - ah," began Mr. Bennet, as he sat down in the nearby chair. "This is quite an unexpected development. When, may I ask did this come about?"

"My proposal was given to Elizabeth yesterday, though I have harbored my feelings towards her for many months now."