Afterwards, Mrs Gardiner put the children were put to bed, leaving the two men to converse among themselves in Mr Gardiner's study.

Darcy glanced at the bookshelves, noting that many of the best volumes that sat there were ones he had himself. Mr Gardiner watched him, saying, "I doubt you will find one there that you have not read. Your library at Pemberley is more complete than my modest study."

"Yes, but my family has had the advantage of time to build up such a large collection." He rose from his seat and took down two of the books. "And yet, even with such an advantage, I do not have these which I have searched for a long time unsuccessfully."

"Which ones are they?" asked Mr Gardiner. When he saw which ones Darcy spoke of, he said,

"Ah, these I remember - Jane and Lizzy were staying with us some time ago, and my wife and I took them to the bookstore. Lizzy discovered those, and found them so interesting I bought them for her. She finished them within a day and forgot to bring them home with her. You are at liberty to borrow them, if you wish."

Darcy thanked him gratefully. Seeing a portrait of a family that included a woman who seemed a younger Mrs Bennet, Darcy wondered out aloud if Lydia would ever come to recognise her folly in eloping with Mr. Wickham.

"In time, she will come to realise her mistake," replied Mr Gardiner, sighing. "But by then, it will be to late; they are bound to each other until death parts them. But perhaps, it is possible that Mr Wickham will take advantage of this new beginning and life his life anew?" asked Mr Gardiner hopefully.

"I wish I could say yes, but I know him too well to believe that he will mend his ways."

"Do you think that Mr and Mrs Wickham will abide by their promises not to tell anyone of your involvement?" asked Mr Gardiner.

"Mr Wickham will not; he would not want the Bennet family to know any more of his conduct than they do already, nor would he want it known that I have assisted him so much, not after what he has told everyone about me."

"Yes, I had heard some of those lies that he spread around the neighborhood," said Mr. Gardiner shaking his head. "They were quite malicious and I am afraid to say that he told them with such skill that many believed them."

"Does the whole of Meryton believe me to have wronged Mr. Wickham?" said Darcy.

"I am sorry to say that they did, though some people's opinions did change. Elizabeth, one of the ones who most vehemently stood by Mr Wickham, now knows that she was mistaken." He looked at Darcy. "My niece told us of the truth of Mr Wickham's character during our return to Longbourn, and that she had acquired her information from her visit to Kent last spring. I may hazard a guess as to the source of her information, and I thank him for opening her eyes."

"But had I told her earlier, when I first learned that Wickham was in town, the entire elopement could have been prevented," replied Darcy, still harboring guilt about his reluctance to reveal Wickham's character.

"Mr Darcy, how can you blame yourself? I do not, nor does my wife, and, truth be told, neither does Lizzy. She first blamed herself if you can believe it, for withholding her knowledge for so long, yet she also did not foresee Lydia's action even though she has known Lydia since birth. If she could not have foreseen it, neither could you. She no longer blames herself, and so neither can she blame you."

Elizabeth does not blame me? thought Darcy, startled. Surely I deserve it, yet she does not? Can this be true?

He looked at Mr Gardiner. He had come to learn that he could be trusted; Mr Gardiner would not have told him this just for his peace of mind. So it must be true.

"I . . .I thank you, sir," said Darcy sincerely.

They talked of other subjects, and as the hours passed, Darcy's respect for Mr Gardiner increased. He was a well-educated man, who shared his love of reading. He found himself telling Mr Gardiner more and more about his life, asking for advice on this and that. Mr Gardiner would listen carefully and give him enough information to guide Darcy to a solution.

When the night had advanced quite late, Darcy left the Gardiners.

"I thank you for your hospitality, sir," said Darcy, shaking Mr Gardiner's hand. He turned to Mrs Gardiner, who had come to see him off and took his leave of her. She acknowledged him, and, after many invitations to meet again sometime if Darcy should be in London, he departed from the homely house in Cheapside with a lightened heart.

_________________________________________

The next day, he left London and returned to Derbyshire, Wickham now out of his life forever.