"It would seem that your parenting is quite different from your relatives," said Darcy delicately.

Mr Gardiner sighed. "I sometimes wish that we could have had more of a hand in bringing up Mary, Kitty and Lydia, but it is too late for anything to be remedied."

"I see. I had often wondered at the difference between the two eldest and the younger Bennet sisters."

"It is wonderful to see that Jane and Lizzy, before such sweet girls, have grown up into such beautiful women. Soon, they will marry; I would be saddened indeed if their husbands were not worthy of them," said Mr Gardiner. His wife agreed, nodding her head thoughtfully.

"Jane needs someone who will care for her selflessly, and Elizabeth's husband would have to a man who could match her spirit and independence. I know that they must also think of fortune, but I hope that they will put love and happiness before anything."

Elizabeth will only marry for love, and she does not love me.

"It will be difficult, to find two such men that were perfect for them," said Darcy.

"Come now, sir, do you not believe that there is a match for everyone one in this world?" chided Mrs Gardiner. "God made Eve for Adam; does it not follow that every one of His children should also have someone created for them?"

"I do not know; so far, I have seen no evidence of it."

He had seen very few marriages that seemed made in Heaven. True there were some; his own parents, some of his acquaintances, Lord and Lady Fitzwilliam . . . but when compared to the number of bad marriages he had seen, the ratio was very small.

"I certainly believe it is true, for I have been so fortunate as to meet my wife," smiled Mr Gardiner.

"I do not know if I have met the woman who is for me," replied Darcy softly.

"But of course you do not know when you first meet them - only future events will tell, and even so, you must still make your own choices and take the risk to find out if the one you believe is your partner-in-life, really is so."

A sudden tumble of blocks was heard crashing to the floor. William cried at the sight of his hard work lying scattered over the area and Mrs Gardiner immediately rose and went to her son's side, while Alice tried to pick up the blocks, her father helping. Mrs Gardiner tried to sooth her son, who refused to be calmed.

"Come now, William, we shall build a better tower this time, one that will not fall over so easily," coaxed Mr Gardiner, taking the blocks from Alice. He placed blocks on top of each other, in a more stable design while William's sobs lessened as he watched his father. When it was finished, William laughed.

Darcy watched this little family scene from where he sat. Mr and Mrs Gardiner were such wonderful parents, and not only did they care for their own offspring, they were willing to help and look after any others who wished for their assistance. He instinctively felt that the Gardiners would treat him almost as one of their own.

For once, he could rely on someone, rather than having everyone rely on him.

The servant entered and announced that dinner was ready. Mr Gardiner took the hands of his two daughters and led them into the dining room, William and Robert following behind. Mrs Gardiner smiled at Darcy and he escorted her inside.

The meal was certainly not as elegant as the ones he had with Georgiana and the Bingleys, not with four young children wanting attention, but it was by far more comfortable and friendly. The dinner itself was simple yet tasted delicious. Darcy enjoyed himself thoroughly.