Neither spoke for some time. Even Lydia somehow sensed the tension between them and stayed silent.

Darcy looked about the room. It was small, with a sloping ceiling. There was an unused fireplace, two chairs, table with wine on it and a folding screen. He noticed disgustedly, that there was only one bed.

"I trust you are well, Miss Bennet?" said he, removing his gloves and hat.

"Yes sir, thank you."

None of them corrected his address to her. His hope rose; they were not married and he could take Lydia away from Wickham and that would be the end of the matter.

"And you, Mr Wickham?"

"I am also quite well, sir," replied he, never taking his eyes off Darcy.

"I apologise for this intrusion at this late hour, but I need to speak to Mr Wickham about a rather urgent matter. I also need to speak to you, Miss Bennet," said Darcy.

"Of course. I am at your service," said Wickham mockingly. He sat at the table and motioned Darcy towards he other chair. Darcy did not move.

"Alone."

A look of fear appeared in Wickham's eyes. He slowly got up. Darcy opened the door and motioned for Wickham to precede him. Darcy closed the door.

In the corridor, Wickham looked at him.

"Where to now, Darcy?"

Wordlessly, Darcy gestured towards the stairs. He followed Wickham down.

In the common room, the rowdy, partly drunk crowd did not notice Darcy's presence. Seeing them, the innkeeper approached them.

" 'Ow can I be of service to ye?" he asked wiping his hands.

"I require a private room, not for overnight, merely for discussion," said Darcy.

The innkeeper looked him up and down, then held out his hand. After Darcy gave him a coin, the man opened a door on the far side of the inn. Five men sat inside around a table holding cards. They looked up at the innkeeper's entrance and glared. The innkeeper barked at them and they hurriedly left.

"Thank you," said Darcy, entering the room behind Wickham. "Would you please see that we are not disturbed?"

The innkeeper grinned toothily and shut the door.

Darcy sat between the door and Wickham, who was seated opposite and watching him warily.

"What do you want with me?"

Darcy looked at him. "Our past has no reflection on this. I am here on present circumstance alone. I am not concerned about you, only for the young lady whom you have persuaded to come away with you."

"And why do you care for her, a girl so wholly unconnected with you?

"My reasons are my own. I should ask why did you convince her to flee with you when she has nothing to do with you or your debts."

"Chamberlyne was to go to Forster the next morning. I needed to leave at once, but there was a ball that evening and out of everyone there, only Lydia would have noticed my absence. I persuaded her to come with me on the pretence of an elopement, therefore allowing myself more time for my escape. Besides," smirked Wickham, "I was not at all adverse to having female companionship along the way."

Darcy looked at Wickham in disbelief. "And so to buy her silence, you made her and offer of marriage? I gave you more credit for cunning than that."

"Marry? Who said anything about marrying her?"

"You do not intend to marry her? Mr. Bennet may not be very rich but surely he could have done something for you if you were to marry his daughter."