Chapter Ten

The sky was cloudy in New Manhattan, New York. It was the middle of a Sunday afternoon. The wind blew, causing the trees by the church to sway back and forth. James clenched his hand on the bench, pieces of wood began to crack in splinters. The casket was closed with a picture of Victor displayed of him smiling in his plaid stripe blue shirt. People whispered among themselves.  James sighed and wished he could forget and bury the memories deep in the depth of his mind.

"I could have saved him. I failed him." James' eyes closed for a moment trying so hard to block out the pain.

"James, I know it's hard. It's hard for me too. This is not your fault." Chrissy whispered in his ear and reached for his hand.

"Yes, it is and I have to live with the fact he is gone." James clamped his right hand on the bench. "How can I?"

James held his mother's hand and they both exchanged a moment of embrace while the sermon was going on inside the church. The sound of the chorus music blended in the background. James took a deep breath, gripping his free hand. His Mother Chrissy smiled at the sermon with family and friends and each had the opportunity to share in the celebration of Victor's life. James's heart spoke of vengeance and he formed a half smile pretending to be happy for his mother. 

Hours later at the burial site, solemn prayers and a few words were delivered by the local priest Lucky Goodman, who was tall middle-aged man with gray hair, brown eyes with a warm smile. He was Victor's oldest friend from Bay High School. 

"Let us pray," Lucky announced. Everyone bowed their heads and held each other's hand in prayer. "Lord, I ask you to offer the Reese Family and friend's strength in their time of sorrow. To help them heal and support each other, through this tough time, to help them find everlasting peace and joy. May you comfort them during the good times and bad times. In Jesus' name...Amen." 

"Amen." Everyone opened their eyes and let go of each other's hands.

James sensed Millennia was close from his aura. Millennia gave a brief smile at James while eying Chrissy. James turned around and saw him dressed in a black suit along with Hard Drive in his human form. Somehow, it was Finder's idea to use technology from her world to transfer Hard Drive’s consciousness into a human clone body for at least a couple of days since the clone bodies expire after one or two days. Even Millennia, himself, almost didn't recognize his old friend in human form. Chrissy took notice of Millennia and gasped for dear life.

James sensed the energy of his aura build up within himself as he took a moment to breathe. His eyes glowed a tint of green and blue and then faded back to brown as he relaxed his muscles. Every person gathered over to Victor's burial site with red and white roses and each of them dropped into the deep hole, landing on top of the black coffin. Sobs and cries were heard from Chrissy. James held on to her, trying to give her comfort. 

"Mom, are you okay?" James asked in a concerned tone.

"Yeah, I'm okay." Chrissy delivered a fake smile. She gave Millennia the long stare. Millennia walked to Chrissy and Hard Drive followed him.

"It has been a long time, Chrissy.” Millennia got slapped in the face in front of everyone. Charles Kennedy laughed with Hunter, exchanging looks when Charles was elbowed in the stomach by Nikki. James gawked at his mother in shock.

"You got some nerve showing up here." Chrissy slapped him in the face again. Millennia caught her hand and stared into her eyes. He let go of her hands.

"Listen, I'm only here to pay my respect." Millennia raisedhis hands.

Chrissy gritted her teeth with a frown on her face. "Is that what this is? So, you come back here and decide what actually? To pay your respects."