Chapter Eight

James ate half an apple and a small plastic bag of animal crackers. He had a notebook and textbook placed on a table in the study hall alone, turning the pages, reviewing notes from his notebook, knowing he needed to cram and pull an all-nighter for his homework and studies for his Biology test. James prompted his elbow on the table, using a hand to support his head. He noticed Nikki in the hallway, holding hands with Charles. James glimpsed at the time from his cell phone and started to pack everything and leave.

Nikki glanced at James with his red backpack for a moment before  approaching the football team. James turned his head and took his eyes off her and walked toward the front to catch the bus. A young girl with brown hair and blue eyes walked fast with books until she bumped into James. When she went backward, he caught her before she fell down.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to," she said while picking up her books and binders containing photos of students and faculty. James got down on the floor to help gather her books. Her eyes locked on James' broad shoulders, brown eyes, and handsome face. 

"Hey, it's okay. Do I know you from somewhere?" James asked.

"Yeah, from Biology class. I was the one who sat in front of you doing Mr. Burke's test. My name is Raya," she smiled, revealing her teeth.

"Mine is --"

"James Reese, I know who you are. You are the smartest person in the class."

"Well, I don't brag," James tried to contain his smirk. "I just apply myself and do the work."

"You make it sound so easy." Raya brushed her hair.

James smirked. "It isn't."

"So, the pictures that I saw are you some type of photographer?" 

"Among other things, I write for the school press and report all the social activities. I was hoping to get it big in journalism to advance my career."

James smiled as she blushed at his comment."Sounds like your heart is in the right place."

"Hey, I was wondering if you were interested in showing up for the prep rally for the Wilds Cats football team." She handed James a flier with a Wild Cats image versus the Wolverines for Saturday Homecoming Stadium at eleven o'clock in the morning. "Hot dogs, soft drinks, and raffle tickets will be passed out for free on random prizes," she informed.

"Umm, I'll tell you what. If you give me your number, I'll call you to let you know that if I'll be there for the prep rally tomorrow." James pulled out his cell phone to jot down her number.

"Okay, make sure you call tomorrow." Raya walked away in the hall with a small grin on her face. James couldn't help but stare at her frame. The way she moved across the hallway with a strong graceful walk. Hunter walked up from the side of James and called out to him with a pound.

"I thought you were working a double at King Diner?" James asked.

Hunter placed his hands in his pockets."Yeah, until I quit. What was annoying was that the manager paid me less money than I work hard for. Look at that fine lady in the hallway. Mmm...I would have a field day with her." Hunter stared at Raya like a Sunday dinner.

James winked."That's Raya and I just got her number."

"Look at you, player pimp," Hunter said, tapping James on the shoulder with his right hand with a punch. Hunter hurt his hand. "Man, you've been working out or something?" Hunter held his right hand to attempt to stop the pain.

"Yeah, I was...learning self-defense." James lifted his right eyebrow.

"Are you sure you're not juicing on steroids, bro?" Hunter asked James, looking at him.