Chapter Four

Bay High School. A large orange brick layered building, gray lockers at each end of the hallway. Glass cases of trophies were displayed at the main hall. James yawned, checking the clock on the wall as it ticked. He wiped the sweat off his forehead when there were three questions left to finish. He scratched his head thinking of which multiple choice answer to select. His eyebrows raised, taking a deep breath. It was a long day for him that seemed like time never moved. His eyes shifted to the young girl in front of him. He smiled at her as he ducked his head, circling his answer on a number two pencil.  She had long brown hair and blue eyes that were alluring to his senses and hard to shake off when he kept looking at her.

The bell rang and everyone stood up from their chairs and feet stepping on black and white checkered floors as they passed in their test to Mr. Burke at the front desk. Except for the few that stayed after class to finish up. James picked up his red backpack and walked toward the desk dropping off the test paper in the silver basket pile.

"Remember, next week we start chapter twenty on Evolution and Natural Selection."Mr. Burke was grading papers on his desk as he glanced at James. "Mr. Reese, can I have a word with you outside?" 

James sighed. "Sure."

Both of them walked out of the room.

James rolled his eyes and sighed in frustration. "Okay."

"Is everything alright? You seem out of it." Mr. Burke placed his hands on his hips.

"I'm fine." James formed a mild frown on his face.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Mr. Burke asked, looking into his eyes.

"There's nothing much to talk about." James's face creased to a fake smile while he turned away.

Mr. Burke nodded. "Okay, I understand. I just wanted to say you are doing well in my class. I was wondering if you are interested in being a tutor for after school Biology."

James waved his hand up in the air as he began to walk away. "No, I'll pass. I have a gym class to attend. I will see you later, Mr. Burke."

Mr. Burke kept his eye on him. "Ok, Mr. Reese, if you need to talk, I am here." He walked back into class.

"Sure, Mr. Burke, I will keep that in mind." James nodded at Mr. Burke as he walked through the halls, adjusting his backpack with the weight of the books. A tall jock walked in his direction who gave off a smug look as if he won the lottery and others were excluded. It was none other than Charles Kennedy, the football quarterback for the Wild Bears, VIP of year at Bay High. James tripped and bumped the Jock's shoulder. Charles's teeth clenched to the side, his right fist balled together showing vains. 

James glanced at Charles. "Hey, I'm sorry."

"Watch where you're going next time." Charles frowned at him, straightening up his jacket.

James gave him an evil glare. "There won't be a next time."

He grabbed James' shoulder. "What did you say?" Charles asked with intense eyes.

James flinched his right arm. "Get your hands off my shoulder."

"What are you gonna do about it?" Charles asked as he pushed James against the locker. 

Kennedy's football team was backing him up in the hallway. They were all chuckling in the background. James balled his fist, waiting for Charles to make the first move. Principal Jefferson showed up, eyes bulged and nodded security to break up James from Charles.

"What's going on here?" The Principal asked, sizing up the situation. 

Charles smirked. "Nothing, we were just having some fun." One security guard put pressure on Charles' arm.