Chapter Thirty-Nine

The pressure was mounting and James drove the vehicle five miles far out from the mansion deep in the woods. Driving it was similar to a go-kart from Earth 1. He turned his head to the side, praying Melidan wasn't behind him as his heart raced. He sighed, gripping the steering wheel, keeping his mind focused on the destination. Much was at stake. More than ever, finding the Orb of Tesina to save all Earths from entire annihilation was critical. James couldn't afford to fail in his mission for the sake of all life since everyone was counting on him. Hard Drive made James' heart jump out of his chest as he peeked through the rear view mirror.

"Hard Drive, what are you doing?" James asked.

"I need to go back and save Dr. Fern." Hard Drive snitched off his belt. "I may not like him for what he did to me, but he is still my father."

Haru San rubbed his head."We can't go back, Hard Drive. We would die and Melidan would win."

"Finding the Orb of Tesina is our main priority!" James mashed his foot down on the accelerator. "It is our only key to stopping Melidan."

James sighed. "Hard Drive, there was something Dr. Fern wanted me to give to you."

James reached for his pocket and showed Hard Drive the small red crystal with the silver tips on the end. "He wanted you to have this."

James placed the red crystal in Hard Drive's hand. A red light blinked from the crystal. Hard Drive's iris flashed when he did a deep scan on the crystal from his eyes. A hologram image of Dr. Fern appeared from the red crystal.

"Janos, if you received this message, then I'm probably dead. I know you and I wasn't the same since Jenna passed. Ever since that night of the explosion happened, I blamed myself for what happened to you and Jenna. This was something I haven't told you. My obsession with my work cost me your lives. I did all I could to save you and Jenna. Your mother was too far gone and didn't survive the surgery. My only regret was not being the father you needed me to be. I wanted you to know that I'm proud of the person you have become. When you activated the crystal, I was able to upload the coordinates to find the Orb of Tesina. Farewell, my son! Live a good life. Know that I will always love you." The hologram of Dr. Fern faded.

"Dr. Fern died an honorable death."Green Thunder held on to his shoulder.''He gave us a chance to escape Melidan. In my book, your father is a hero.''

"I second that," Charles said inside Green Thunder's head.

Hard Drive listened to James's last word echoing in the back of his artificial mind, "stopping Melidan" like it was the only thing that ringed true. Except for his connection to Finder. Finder was the one thing that mattered to him more than his whole existence. He would do anything to protect what was important to him, no matter the price.

"Going back for your father is a suicide." Green Thunder pulled back his arm. "Melidan will kill you."

Finder nodded."For once, I agree with Green Thunder. Going back there would mean your end. I don't want you to die." She reached for his face. "Janos, please stay. You don't have to do this!"

Hard Drive looked into Finder's eyes as tears rolled down her cheeks from her orange face. She sniffled and sighed with a fake smile. Hard Drive leaned in, touching his forehead against hers, holding on to her.

Finder tightened her lip as her eyebrows lowered."There is no way of talking you out of this."

Hard Drive turned to James."I set the coordinates to find the Orb of Tesina on the display. It will give the quickest route to get there."

The vehicle James was driving took a direct purple energy blast from the rear that shook it. Finder yelled, narrowing her eyes at Melidan. She fired multiple shots from her rifle at Melidan, hitting him with everything she got. Melidan hurled heavy balls of purple energy at the vehicle that shook the group.