Chapter Five

James got on the bus after school. He sat and reflected on the towering, brick buildings. In the corner of his eye, he could see giant corporate high rising buildings on both sides. They had to be at least eighty stories tall. There were even some graffiti names painted in blue, red, and yellow colors that stood out in bubble letters. The subway station in New Manhattan was flooded with people. Walking the streets was never ideal at night, since crime went up twenty percent. Cops circled the area just ready to apprehend criminals but wasted no time to give drivers who parked close to bus stops a ticket that were not in their car.

The local Governor and Mayor of New Manhattan, New York were working hard to curb gun violence and other crime spikes that affect the city. The sentiments of the public are known with the notion that something has to be done in order to neutralize the increasing threat and protect citizens from harm.

The streets were crowded with the sweet smell of fresh baked bagels, large pretzels, and hot dogs. James smacked his lips thinking about picking up a fresh plain bagel from a local stand with a Philadelphia cream cheese spread inside. One bagel wasn't enough and having two pacified the cravings in his travels. His father mentioned he had an iron stomach. Of course, James didn't believe him one bit.

The bus driver went through the new FDR bridge and paid a toll. Traffic backed up in the afternoon and cars lined up in single rows and the drivers honk their horns. The traffic cleared and the bus driver was able to let James off the street. James got up and grabbed his red backpack from the seat. He walked out, holding on to the rail. The bus driver closed the door and took off. James walked two blocks to his house.

James dusted off his black Jordan's and adjusted the collar of his black T-shirt. He pulled out the keys from his blue jeans. As he walked inside the house, it was pitch dark. For a moment, he looked around the corner, sensing something wasn't right. James called out for his mother and father. All he listened to was silence. He continued his path toward the kitchen, walking at a steady pace and that's when he turned on the light from the corner of the wall. Everyone in unison said, "Happy Birthday!"

James' eyes lit up in surprise and was taken back by his mom, dad, his best friend Hunter, and Uncle Troy's eighteenth birthday wish. He snickered the whole time. His birthday cake was on the table. It was red velvet with coconut icing. Eighteen white candles were on the cake. He noticed the lit candles. The flames on the wick moved side to side as if it was dancing.

Victor hugged James and held on to him. "Happy Birthday, son, How does it feel to be eighteen?"

James smiled with a wide grin. "It feels great!"

Chrissy rubbed his face, smiling at James. "My baby is all grown up."

James smiled, pulling her hands down. "Yeah, mom."

"You know what that means, right? You can drink with us," Uncle Troy said in a teasing tone.

Hunter interjected. "Yeah, that's right, we can go clubbing tonight."

Victor gave both Hunter and Uncle Troy the exchange to not corrupt James.

Troy elbowed Victor. "Oh, Common, Victor, you know I wasn't serious right?"

"I was just playing, Mr. Reese." Hunter held up his red plastic cup of soda.

Chrissy walked toward James with a small present that was in a blue shiny wrapping. He unwrapped it and opened a small box. Inside that box was an android watch he always wanted. The latest software to keep him glued to the latest trends.
James hugged his mom.

"Thanks, Mom," She held on to James. "I love you too, James.

Outside the house, Millennia was watching James and his family through the window from the back yard. He laid eyes on Chrissy and saw how happy she was. She went out to the back to take out the garbage. He ran and hid behind the tree. Chrissy shivered as a cool breeze passed by her. She looked all around and saw no one.