36) Birthday Party

This chapter is going to be a little weird (and longer than usual) ... Enjoy! It was so much fun to write hehe~

"What's up with you lately, Dick? You've been acting kinda weird all week," Barbara noted as she sat at table in the cafeteria and took out her homework. She'd been staying after school a lot recently because a certain blonde did as well, and they'd always talk about random girl stuff.

Lucky him, said girl was approaching them as they spoke.

"It's nothing, really," Dick lied, "maybe I'm just coming down with something."

Barbara looked concerned and was about to respond but she noticed Artemis walking towards her and forgot all about him. "Oh, hey, Artemis! What's up?"

She sat down across from Barbara and gave a mildly interested smile. "Not much, to be honest." She glanced at Dick. "You know, you've never really introduced me to your friend."

Dick was a bit startled from being mentioned, and just awkwardly waved his hand.

"Ah, right. Well, you've probably heard a bit about him already. This is Dick. He's a third grader, and today just happens to be his birthday!" Barbara informed with enthusiasm.

Artemis's eyebrows shot up. "Oh, wow. Happy birthday, Dick! How old are you now?" She knew, but asked anyways. She knew a lot of thing about the kid. More than she wish she did; it was vexing. Yet she didn't know enough, apparently.

"Nine," Dick uttered. He didn't like how much attention he had gotten today just because it was his birthday. It was flattering but had gotten old really fast. He felt awfully uncomfortable.

"Ooh, nice," Artemis simply said.

Dick just stood there while the two girls began to chat. Should he leave? He wanted to tell Barbara something, though... Argh! Ever since Artemis came along, she's been so occupied with her that she didn't even talk to Dick anymore!

He tried to hide his annoyance as he held onto the straps of his backpack and spoke up. "Well, I guess I should go now."

Barbara, who was in the middle of a conversation about the newest episode of some TV show, glanced at him for a moment and distractedly muttered, "uh huh, yeah, yeah, see ya. Text ya later," and immediately continued to gossip with her new- and probably better- friend.

It felt like something was pulling at his heart. He had to do something. "Babs. Do you- um- wanna come over to my place? We could play the Wii or something..."

Barbara froze before inspecting the look on Dick's face. She broke out into a grin. "Yeah, sure. Whatever you want, birthday boy." Dick sighed.

Artemis's eyes widened. This was her chance! "Hey, could I come over, too? I'd love to get to know you more since you're Barbara's, like, best friend. Also, I've never played Wii, so it'd be pretty cool to learn."

Dick's dislike towards her lessened. She didn't seem like she was trying to steal his friend away from him. If anything he felt sorta guilty. Artemis was just nice and cool and Barbara's age, so of course she'd like her. He was lost in his jealousy, and fearful that he'd lose his closest friend. He was worried that she wouldn't care about him when she had the coolest fifth grader in the whole school right in front of her.

"Sure," Dick accepted with a small smile. As long as Barbara was happy...

- - - - - - - - -

Selina whistled. Dick sure had a thing with the ladies. "Barbara, hey, girl! How's it going?"