10) To the Rescue

Dick should have gone straight to using one of the disarming techniques Selina taught him, but his nerves got to him. So instead, he tried to reason with the man. "H-hey, could we talk about this?"

He squinted at Dick as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. "The heck? You think we're negotiating? Nah, kid. You give me whatever ya got."

Dick didn't move.

To frighten him, the man cocked the gun and shot at the floor causing the woman and her children to scream in surprise and fear. "I said NOW!" He barked.

Dick began to realize that he might actually get shot if he didn't do something anytime. He forced himself to quickly preform the exact moves that he did to Selina on the mugger. The man hit the floor with a thud.

Before he could grab the gun again, Dick snatched it.

The family took advantage of the situation and hastily took back their belongings. The children, who were only a few years younger than him, looked at Dick in awe. One of them, a girl, said, "my hero!"

Dick felt his heart beat. Hero? He inquired.

"Thank you so much." The woman genuinely said.

Dick smiled. "You're welcome. You should go back home now before anything else happens." He suggested kindly.

The lady nodded and held onto her children tightly. They ran off.

Dick sighed in relief. He turned to Selina and who was walking towards him and gave a thumbs up.

"You were right! I did it!" He exclaimed happily. He was smiling from ear to ear.

"You brat!" The familiar voice groaned. The mugger got a hold of Dick's foot and tugged, causing him to stumble onto the floor.

"Dick!" Selina shouted.

The man grabbed the gun that had fallen out of Dick's hands. He aimed it towards Dick and was about to pull the trigger. Selina would've gone to Dick's aid but she was beaten to it.

A large, muscular man in a black suit jumped down from who knows where. He had a long cape, a mask, and bat ears.

Is this who I think it is? Dick wondered. Also, why do so many people wear costumes? Especially with animal ears?

Batman smacked the gun out of smuggler's hands and punched him unconscious. That's it. It was that quick.

Selina ran up to Dick and helped him up. She put her hands on his shoulders and squeezed. "Are you okay?" She asked tensely. Dick nodded and looked up at Batman.

"Selina." Batman acknowledged in his gruff voice.

"Br-Batman." Selina said in return.

They know each other?

Batman turned to Dick. "Don't worry about this man. I'll have him locked in jail. He won't be bothering anyone anymore."

"Okay." Dick replied.

Batman inspected the boy. "You look familiar. Have I seen you somewhere?" He questioned.

Dick panicked. Does he recognized me from the bank footage? Or have I been on the news because I escaped juvie?

"Uh, nope! I think I would remember meeting you." Dick retorted.