Gender Roles? Who Is She?

"Peter, everything's going to be fine."

Peter and MJ were walking through the mall, towards the tattoo and piercing store. Since they had just recently both turned eighteen, they thought they would celebrate advancing into adulthood with a few piercings because, why not?

"I have a high pain tolerance, obviously," Peter began, "but that's because i'm not expecting it. I know these things are going to hurt."

MJ snickered and slapped her best friend's shoulder, slightly shoving him forwards.

"Stop being such a baby," she said playfully. "Besides, I'll be right there to hold your hand."

They walked inside, and the scent of disinfectant immediately hit Peter's nose. He scrunched his face in discomfort, his enhanced senses going haywire. Mj noticed and tapped his back, something she did to calm him down.

"Hi, how may I help you?" a girl, around her mid-thirties, asked politely. MJ smiled at the worker and looked at her best friend.

"Hi there. My friend and I were looking to get some piercings," she stated. The girl nodded her head.

"Okay, I'll go talk to the piercer. In the meantime, here's a catalog of everything we can do."

In the end, MJ decided to get her cartilage pierced, as well as a small stud in her nose. Peter, being the excessive boy he was, picked out the standard earlobe piercings and another one in his eyebrow.

The girl from earlier came back out to the main area and motioned for the two to follow her, which they quickly did. They were led into a room where a buffer man sat next to a chair, cleaning off some needles.

"Hi there," he said. "I'm Owen; whoever's going first just sit down in the chair."

Peter slid into the leather seat and sat back, his head hitting the small headrest. MJ stood next to him and he found her hand, squeezing it tightly. She laughed softly and ran her thumb up and down his wrist.

"What did you have in mind?" Owen asked, spinning around to face Peter.

"Um, the standard earlobe ones and an eyebrow?" he responded, gulping quietly. Owen nodded and grabbed a disinfectant swab, gently cleaning off Peter's ear. He drew on a small dot with a black marker, using it as a guide to know where to pierce.

He counted down from three before poking the needle through Peter's ear. The teen winced slightly and gripped MJ's hand tighter. She laughed and smoothed his hair away from his eyes as the piercer put in the small post.

This process was repeated and soon Peter had his ears pierced.

Yay.

"Okay, you ready for the other one?" Owen asked. Peter nodded, biting his lip.

Owen marked out where the needle was going to go before rubbing some numbing gel over the specified area. He grabbed the sterilized needle and inserted it through the skin, and Peter didn't even know it happened. Fastening in the jewelry, Owen sat back and clapped his hands twice.

"There 'ya go, kid. The lady out front will give you instructions on how to keep everything clean and sanitized."

MJ's session went by in a flash, and soon she was freshly pierced. The duo thanked the piercer, giving him two hundred dollars (curtesy of Tony), and headed back into the main area. There they learned how to take care of their piercings, taking in all the do's and don'ts of sanitization and changing them.

"They look so cool!" Peter gushed as he looked into his phone's camera, admiring the glinting metal in his face. MJ snickered and nodded.

"Yes they do, Parker. Now let's go waste the rest of your birthday money from daddy Stark."

Six bags each and three hours later, MJ and Peter were headed out of the mall, trying their best to not topple over from their weighted bags. Each of them had stocked up on stylish clothes for the summer, as well as some candles and a few random things they found in the checkout isles. They got into Peter's Audi and began the drive back to the compound.

"Starbucks?" Peter suggested as he turned into his favorite coffee place's parking lot. MJ nodded in agreement and ten minutes later, they each had their preferred drinks. MJ, a treinta caramel iced coffee and Peter, a treinta white mocha hot chocolate. 

-

"How do I look?"

MJ walked out of Peter's bathroom in one of her new outfits; ripped black skinny jeans, a Nirvana tank top, a black and white flannel and some Adidas high tops. Adding to the look, she had a black beanie and some band-themed bracelets on. Peter whistled before laughing, clapping his hands like an excited child.

"You look so good, MJ!" he exclaimed. MJ smiled and shook her head, smoothing out her shirt.

"Thanks Pete, now go get yourself changed."

Peter, being the edgy boy he was, changed into something no one would expect of him. Steering away from his science pun roots, he had on dark grey "zipper" jeans, a black tee that read: "We're All Human" and black combat boots with rainbow strings. He also added dangly bracelets that were the colors of multiple pride flags.

(If you haven't caught on already, MJ and Peter are huge stereotype-breakers, and with MJ being androgynous and the both of them being bisexual, they were definite supporters of equality.)

"Hot damn," MJ oohed as Peter strutted out, hands placed on his hips and being overall sassy. He giggled and did a twirl, ending in squatting down and spreading one leg out like a model. he blew a kiss and the two of them broke into fits of laughter.

Just wait till they go to school tomorrow.