i love you

no way home spoilers

all characters belong to MARVEL. all spelling mistakes are my own.

peter walked through the halls of midtown, his backpack heavy on his shoulders. re-enrolling in his high school had been quite difficult, especially since no one was there to help him, and all he had for proof of his intelligence were past tests he had dug up from the storage closet. now that he was actually in the building as a student once more, he almost wished he hadn't made the decision to take classes. however, the yearn to graduate outweighed his displeasure of taking classes in a place no one remembered him.

his first period was physics, just like his old schedule. in fact, his class schedule stayed entirely the same, apart from the after school decathlon meetings; maybe he could try out for the team again. slipping into the classroom five minutes early to the bell, peter introduced himself to the teacher (well, re-introduced himself) and sat down in his seat, which, of course, was his old one.

"i saw that your previous physics grades were outstanding," mr. kreighton said as he walked over to peter's desk. "truly remarkable for your age. do you do any physics work outside of school?"

peter swallowed thickly. "i, uh, used to intern at Stark Industries before the whole alien thing happened. i decided to... not return." it was a far-stretched lie, but the boy was content to twist the truth.

mr. kreighton nodded. "that's understandable. that entire fiasco was traumatic for everyone involved," he said. "well, if you do happen to have questions on the class work, feel free to come ask."

"thank you, sir."

students began filing into the classroom, and peter felt the hairs on his arms stand up. he didn't detect any danger, but meeting his friends for the second time still made him anxious.

"what's up, peter parker?"

peter nearly fell out of his chair when he turned to look at mj. an incredulous look blossomed on his face before he remembered their encounter at her workplace. he instantly deflated.

"oh, hi! hi there," he forced out through a smile, heart thumping wildly in his chest. "um, i didn't expect to see you again."

mj raised an eyebrow before shaking her head and sliding into her seat across from him. "mhm. i thought you'd be some prissy private school snob, but maybe your just a snob."

the web-slinging teen's words fell from his tongue. what could he say to that?

mj snickered. "i'm kidding, loser. lighten up a bit and learn to take a joke," she drawled. "dumbness isn't a good look on you."

a small "oh," was all peter managed to reply with. he fumbled with his headphones cord. "what's uh... what's your name?"

"it's mj."

"nice! nice."

mj turned away to her notebook, and peter pursed his lips as he saw her begin drawing. a small part of him was glad she hadn't changed, but there was still an empty hole in his heart.

the final bell rang, interrupting the teen from his thoughts. mr. kreighton stood from his desk and walked to the white board.

"okay class, today we'll be discussing gravity and how..."

......

the apartment ached with silence.

peter shoved another shitty piece of cheese pizza into his mouth, staring at the dark television screen. minutes earlier, he had slammed his finger on the remote's power button after another painful segment on spider-man's strange disappearance. he hadn't been out on patrol in three weeks, and the bustling city of queens was beginning to notice.