"Yes, it is." Alfred confirmed as he opened the oven and picked the pan with his mittens. "But it's very hot, so you'll have to wait a couple more minutes to be able to eat them."

Dick's shoulder's sagged. Time to wait another thousand years...

- - - - - - -

Alfred was right, the cookies tasted great; they were definitely worth the wait! He ate them along with a glass of milk. Despite how uneventful it was, he had a great day. The change in pace was kinda nice.

"You should save the rest for tomorrow," Alfred suggested, "And perhaps head to bed."

Dick nodded. As he got up from his seat he stopped and turned back to Alfred. "Are you going to sleep, too?"

"No, not yet. I'll be waiting for Master Bruce." Alfred informed.

"Then could you make sure to give him a cookie?" Dick asked.

Alfred smiled. "Yes, of course."

Dick rubbed his eye sleepily . "Thanks, Alfred."'

"Anytime, Master Dick. Now go, and don't forget to brush your teeth!" Alfred reminded.

"I know, I know." Dick stated as he climbed up the stairs.

After Dick completed his nightly routine, turned his alarm clock back on and was ready to jump onto bed. He had to get enough sleep if he was going to school tomorrow.

Then he remembered that he never got to tell Alfred goodnight. Dick walked downstairs and looked for the butler. He wasn't anywhere to be seen. Dick looked in the study and found nothing. As he walked away, however, he could've sworn he heard a voice from a far distance.

Dick blinked. The almost inaudible sound came from the clock! He stared for another few seconds but shook his head and walked away from the study. Now he was hearing things. Lovely. I get it, brain. I'll go to sleep.

Dick went back to bed a little sad that he never got to tell Alfred, 'goodnight'.

Sirens wailed and people chattered, clearly distressed and shaken. It was all a distorted mess to Dick, though. His circus friends spoke to him, tears running down their cheeks. He hardly listened; they were probably trying to comfort him, murmuring that everything would be okay. The eight-year-old had sobbed harder than he'd ever done so in his life just a few minutes ago, and now he just felt numb. His eyes burned, his skin felt like ice, and all he wanted to was sleep. Sleep so he could wake up and see that this was all a nightmare.

But even he knew that this was reality.

Haly could be heard yelling from across the tent, towards the entrance. Dick bit his lip. Haly never yelled, the man was just too gentle for that sort of thing.

A short blonde woman strutted obnoxiously towards Dick. She held a clipboard against her chest and eyed the circus suspiciously.

Dick squeezed someone's hand. He didn't remember who, but it didn't matter. It was someone from the circus, and he loved and trusted everyone there. They were family.

"So, you must be Richard Grayson." The blonde stated while reading of a paper.

Dick didn't reply. Haly met up with them and said in a low voice, "I said we can talk care of him. There's no need for this. Let's talk in private-"