26) Odd Squad Pt.2

Start from the beginning

Dick felt a flicker of embarrassment. "Haha, yeah."

"A promise," Riddler continued, "Easily broken. Sometimes it's best not to trust anyone. Even your friends. You're better off not having any. That's how it is in this city, kid." Riddler internally cringed. He sounded like Oswald. Although he had to admit, he wasn't completely wrong. Anyways, Edward was trying as subtly as possible to tell Richard the message while sounding general. After all, he didn't want anyone to know he actually cared.

Dick shifted uncomfortably. Did he overhear his and Oswald's conversation, or was this just a coincidence?

"You can always trust your friends," Dick stated, "trust is what makes a promise so special. And if you can't trust your friends with something like a promise, then they aren't really your friends, right?"

Damn, Riddler thought. He had a good point there. He couldn't retaliate without being suspicious. Well, of course he could, he was Edward Nygma, a genius. He could, but didn't want to. Yes, that was it.

"I suppose it depends on what types of friends you have." Edward concluded as he slouched a bit, wanting to end this conversation.

Dick wanted to ask what types of friends Riddler had, but decided against it. Judging by the enigma's body language, he didn't seem to want to talk about that anymore.

"Is that why your name is Riddler? Because you like riddles?" Dick questioned.

Riddler smiled, glad for the subject change. "Yep. Life's full of questions, however, I like to think of them as riddles. And I am the master of Riddles."

"Wow," Dick mused, "That's interesting. You must be really smart."'

Riddler confidently smirked but said nothing in return. This boy didn't know even half of his cleverness.

At last, it seemed Oswald and Ivy were wrapping this up. Penguin slide a bunch of hundred dollar bills toward Ivy, who took it and quickly counted each one (to Oswald's annoyance). Satisfied, she willed the vines to move away from the vial and gave it to Penguin. He observed it with a generally pleased expression. He offered a hand to Ivy- to shake hands, it seemed- but she just rejected it.

"About time." Edward mumbled. He and Dick got up and walked towards Oswald who was up and ready to leave.

"So, still have enough on you for gas?" Edward joked.

Oswald only rolled his eyes. "I'll be leaving now, Ed. Good day, Ivy." He put a hand on Dick's back and gently pushed him towards the direction of the door.

"Bye, little Richard." Ivy voiced. She rested her chin on her overlapped hands and smiled at him mysterious fondness in her eyes. "Stay safe, won't you?"

Oswald frowned at her and began to lead Dick away. Edward stopped him. "Wait, we need to talk." Dick watched them have a silent conversation with their eyes.

Oswald suspected it was important. "Dick, head to the car. I'll meet up with you shortly. You know where it is, correct?"

"Yeah, I do." Dick confirmed.

"Then go." Oswald commanded. Dick gave the group of villains one last confused glance before waving at Ivy and Riddler and getting out of the building.