Chapter Eighteen

Edited ✔️

Icepaw could not help but tremble in the freezing cold of the snow. DarkClan had many trees, so he could not see at all if the sun had risen or not. Maybe this is why DarkClan had been called . . . DarkClan? Maybe it was because they lived in the dark shade of endless trees? It reminded him of the Twilight Forest.

He shivered again, shrinking in his own fur. Dewpaw trotted ahead, not giving a care in the world as he sniffed the freezing air. "I can't scent them," he meowed. "Maybe we should go back to MoonClan. Cats will wake up soon."

Icepaw shook his head. "Let's just find their camp. They probably took Squirrelkit and Silverkit there. Where else could they establish a perfect place to keep them hostage?"

Dewpaw's head dropped. "Icepaw," he wined.

Icepaw shot him a look. "I am telling you: if you want to go back I will not stop you. But you will not stop me from going forward." His eyes narrowed. "You don't look up to it, Dewpaw."

"Because I'm not. I just have to make sure you're safe—I mean—um . . ." Dewpaw trailed off, searching for words. "I wanted to make sure you wouldn't get hurt?"

"Is that a question or a statement?" Icepaw asked awkwardly.

"Never mind, we need a plan," Dewpaw went on. "Let's think something up so when we get to the camp we can be ready." His paws shuffled. Fresh paw prints were made out in the snow. Icepaw realized that their tracks led all the way up here.

Oh please, let out tracks be covered! I don't want Brightstar to follow me or send a patrol here! Icepaw silently begged in his mind. I don't want to deal with MoonClan now. I have enough problems in my head already.

They continued on.

As time passed by he realized that his tracks were being covered by the snow that descended to the ground. He felt a bit glad about it, but also nervous. Firstly, how would they find their way back? Secondly, the DarkClan tracks were disappearing! His eyes widened as he turned to Dewpaw.

"We have to hurry!"

"Why?" asked Dewpaw, startled.

Icepaw shook his head. "No time to explain! Let's go!" He began to run through the forests of DarkClan, his paws thudding softly on the snow that made him sink. The breeze became colder as he ran, causing his face to freeze. His chest burned and pounded the more he sprinted.

Dewpaw followed close behind, striding through the white DarkClan forests. Light shone through the trees. He wondered how close it was to dawn.

Suddenly, he caught a faint voice. He froze in his tracks, and Dewpaw stopped at his haunches, almost crashing into his rear. "Hey! What's the hold up, I thought we had to hurry?" Dewpaw asked, padding up to Icepaw's face.

"Shh," Icepaw scolded.

His hearing strained as far as they can go, and he heard the voices more clearer now. " . . . Are you sure you scented something?" came a voice of a she-cat.

"Well, duh! We stole MoonClan's kits, they're sure to come after us!" a tom responded.

"I hope they fall into the trap," another cat said.

"Shut up, they can be anywhere, Treepaw," the tom scolded. The voices grew more silent at the tom's statement. Icepaw's eyes squinted through the dark forest, and he spotted the outline of a cat's ears through the tiny light filtering through the forest. They were close!

Dewpaw must of realized it, too. He was already heading off into another direction, going into the little undergrowth that DarkClan had. Icepaw followed his brother, shielding himself from the view of the DarkClan cats. As he padded on, a thought came to mind. A trap?