Chapter Forty Six

Edited ✔️

Brightstar stared down upon the Clan from the Moonrock, scanning her Clanmates with careful and watchful eyes. "I have gathered you all here to tell you of a discovery Icetail and I found outside of camp," she began.

Icetail noticed a few of his Clanmates looking at the two of them, whispering towards one another with curiosity and suspicion. He didn't let that bother him, as he knew they were going to figure out the truth shortly.

I wonder if Brightstar feels that we are being spied on, he thought. The feeling of being watched made him shudder. No. Brightstar wouldn't be announcing this if she knew we were being watched at this moment.

Silverleaf pressed closer to him, probably thinking that he was cold.

"First off, I want to say that our battle-training is doing very well," she began. "I have no intentions in reducing the amount of fight training we do, but I also want to start teaching the kits defensive moves."

Sagepelt gasped and stood up with a jolt. "I can't let my kits start battle training!" she objected. "They're barely two moons old!"

Icetail looked over at the nursery where both of her kits clambered out eagerly. Shadekit and Berrykit looked up at the Moonrock with excitement. "Would we really be battle training?" Shadekit called with excitement. "This means we'll be leaving the camp, right?"

"Yes! Yes!" cheered Berrykt. "That'll be the best thing ever!"

"No way, Brightstar! I won't let my kits battle train!" Sharpfang put in to Sagepelt's defense. "They're barely the size of full-grown rabbits."

Brightstar's ears flicked, silencing them. "You are misunderstanding me. I'm not going to battle train them, I want them to learn how to properly defend themselves." She flicked her tail to the elder's den. "And I want them learning, too."

"We can't train," retorted Mousetail from the elder's den. "I'm limp on one leg, Stripeeyes can barely see, and Thrushclaw's very frail."

"I can train, you old furball!" said Stripeeyes. "You don't have'ta see a cat to swipe at 'em!"

"We've got to try!" Brightstar growled, her voice raising. "It's not going to be a decision—this is an order from your leader; a matter I have taken to StarClan deep within my own thoughts, something I believe we must do for our protection. For the sake of MoonClan!" Everyone grew silent, shocked at Brightstar's sharpness. "While we were out, Icetail and I discovered that MoonClan is being spied on."

Murmurs of shock rippled through the crowd.

"Spied on?" whispered Ashtail to Rainwhisker.

"I bet it was DarkClan!" Goldenpaw growled to Squirreltail. The warrior nodded his head in agreement.

"Who was it?" demanded Skypelt with a hiss.

Brightstar's chin raised. "Goldenpaw's right. It was DarkClan."

Yowls of outrage broke through the Clan. "Those good-for-nothing cowards!" Crowflight spat. "They took a part of our territory. What next, the camp?"

"We should attack them!" declared Hawktalon. Several cats yowled with agreement.

Flameheart exchanged a nervous glance with Icetail, and Silverleaf's eyes grew round with worry.

"Everyone, quiet down!" Icetail yowled, raising his voice over the uproar. "Brightstar's not done talking! Don't you see?" MoonClan began to silence down from Icetail's call, though a few cat's pelts were still bristling with anger and disbelief.