Chapter Fifty Two

Edited ✔️

Hi guys! Sorry that this chapter is shorter than usual, but it's very important. That is why I didn't make it any longer than just a few pages, hehe. Read on to find out why it is important! :D

The moon was still up in the night sky, but it was barely visible against the thick, gray clouds. Small droplets of cold white snow fell down onto the forest, going through the tree branches above Icestar's head. The cold wind pushed through his fur, and the snow on the ground dug into his paws.

The gathering was just a while ago, and soon it would be dawn—yet Icestar could not bring himself to sleep. Dewstar's threat was still heavy in his ears, that there was a new war. Of course, Icestar knew this himself before Dewstar mentioned it at the gathering. Dewstar made it clear that we are having another war the day he wrecked the training hollow, he thought. But now, all of my Clanmates know. They all know . . . that there's going to be war.

He continued walking through the forest, ignoring the cold in his paws. He needed to be alone, for he did not want to listen to the gossip of his Clanmates. He didn't want to think of what could go wrong. His fear of Dewstar and fear for his Clanmates was growing stronger by the day.

The snow didn't bother Icestar's eyes at all. What bothered him was the wind tugging at his fur, and the feeling of thorns piercing his heart. Now for sure, he couldn't avoid a battle with his brother. The prophecy he received seasons ago was finally taking place.

The darkness was never meant to be, and two cats high and proud will lead and destroy.

How on earth was Icestar going to accomplish the task of destroying DarkClan when their odds seemed so low?

He felt the presence of another cat close behind him as he padded through the forest. Swiftly, he turned, expecting to see his worst fear. He didn't expect to see Ashtail. His deputy's worried gaze met Icestar's eyes.

"Are you all right?" Ashtail mewed. "Everyone's starting to notice that you've gone missing."

Icestar shook his head. "I'm not alright. I can't bring myself to face everyone."

Ashtail stared at him with concern. "Yet this war is far from your fault, you're scared. Why, Icestar? Dewstar is the cause, not you."

"I never thought I was the cause for this war. It's just . . . I'm scared that I'll have to confront Dewstar," he responded. "I mean, he betrayed us long ago. I know that. I've even fought him before, too. But Dewstar's still . . ."

"I know. He's still your brother, and you still care for him. Right?" Icestar could barely hear Ashtail's voice over the wind, but he understood.

Icestar gave a nod.

"You shouldn't be out in this storm," Ashtail went on, walking closer to Icestar. "You can get hurt."

Icestar didn't repsond.

Ashtail sighed. "Silverleaf almost came out herself before I offered. If you don't come back to camp, she'll go out looking for you."

"Don't let her leave the camp," he murmured. "It's dangerous for her."

Ashtail narrowed his eyes. "Can't you just come back? You can catch a cold!" he protested.

"Stop trying to convince me!" Icetail snapped. "I need time to think away from everyone. I'll be back by the crack of dawn. If I don't return by then, I give you permission to look for me."

"But—" Ashtail meowed.

Icestar looked away. "I'm ordering you to leave me. I'm sorry, but just watch over the camp while I'm gone." Icestar turned and padded away. He felt bad for snapping at Ashtail like that, but he needed this time alone.