Chapter Forty Four

Edited ✔️

I made another long chapter. I haven't done this in a while lol ^o^ enjoy~

Icetail was leading his apprentice, Amberpaw, to the Training Hollow. Right beside him, Flameheart followed silently. Dawnstripe and Volefur spoke to one another in hushed tones as Blackpaw and Goldenpaw boasted about new battle moves they had recently learned.

Underpaw, the remains of the dead leaf-fall leaves cracked and cackled. Icetail's fur blew in the wrong direction by the cold wind, and the sky was dark and filled ominous clouds that promised to bring another storm. The scents of the forest surrounded Icetail as he led the party to the Training Hollow.

Not a single sound of prey was to be heard the whole way there. Icetail's head hung low. Of course I can't hear or scent prey, he thought sadly. His belly growled, and he hoped no cat heard. I can't have Silverleaf finding out that I have been giving my prey away to my Clanmates. She'll get so mad at me.

"Are you hungry, Icetail?" Amberpaw asked, trotting up beside him. She must have noticed despite his silent pleas.

Icetail shrugged and tried his best to mask his emotions. "We're all hungry. I don't need to eat now, so we'll all have a meal back at camp."

She nodded happily even though they both knew there wouldn't be enough food to go around. He was grateful to have Clanmates who would care if he was starved, but the last thing he wanted them to do was to risk their lives for his own well-being.

As soon as he entered inside the Training Hollow, he glanced around. No matter what changes the forest was going through, this area never changed. It was as if this spot was the only that could never be found by the Twolegs, protected by the cats of StarClan themselves.

To Icetail, the Hollow would always be MoonClan's safe haven.

It had always excited him to return. He breathed in the stale scents of when he was last here, including all of the newer scents of his Clanmates who often came to battle-train.

I'm going to be here a lot more often, he thought. Brightstar wasn't joking when she told me that we were going to train our warriors and apprentices more.

Maybe that battle with DarkClan will be inevitable.

"What are we going to start off with now, Icetail?" Amberpaw asked eagerly, bounding over to him.

Blackpaw raced into the clearing, and Goldenpaw excitedly followed him. "Can we continue that move Volefur was teaching us last time?" Blackpaw asked. "The half-turn belly-rake?"

"No, I want to practice the duck-and-twist! I've been working on it, Dawnstripe," Goldenpaw meowed. "I want to show you how I perfected it!" Her eyes shone eagerly.

Amberpaw looked up pleadingly to Icetail. "Can we please do the jump and pin?" she meowed in a half-whine. "You promised to teach me that since last quarter-moon, Icetail!"

Icetail laughed softly. "Quiet down," he told all the apprentices. "We're going to start off with warm-ups so your muscles can loosen up. Volefur, would you like to lead them?"

"Sure thing," Volefur said. "Everyone, run three times around the clearing. Remember, long strides. This'll make you faster and it'll really get you fired up."

Blackpaw raced from his spot and began to do as told, but Goldenpaw dashed as quickly as possible, trying to pass him. Amberpaw bolted from her position a few seconds after the two of them had began, snapping out of a daze. "No fair! You two got a head start!" she complained.