Chapter Thirty Five

Edited ✔️

Icetail sat right besides Brightstar in his makeshift nest that they set up in her den. "What's the news?" he asked his leader. The leader's den was dark, but comfortable, shielding away all sorts of rain and wind. He wondered how such a large space could only be used for one cat.

Brightstar looked to her paws. "Two cats have gone missing," she responded. "Thornheart . . . and your father, Sparrowheart."

Icetail's heart almost stopped. "Why?" he asked immediately. "Why would they leave? Where have they gone?"

Brightstar shook her head. "I do not know." Her voice was low, and her gaze was sad. "I deeply hope that they're okay—but they've been gone since the rain has started. The sun is set and the moon has risen, but it's been covered by clouds so we can't see through the forest. We won't be able to travel until we can see."

Icetail sighed and looked down to his paws. "Please, StarClan. Let them be okay," he murmured. He lied down in his nest, and Brightstar rest a comforting paw over Icetail's shoulder.

"My apprentice," she mewed. "What if MoonClan were to go into a battle, and you knew that they'd lose and you had a choice of survival? What if that survival was . . . joining the opposing side of the battle?"

Icetail's sleepy eyes closed. "Are you kidding? I love my Clan more than life itself and I will fight to the bitter end to keep my Clanmates happy and safe. I would never join the other side." He yawned as he felt Brightstar's comforting touch tense up.

"I only have two lives left," she murmured in his ear. "Sparrowheart will surely become the leader soon."

"Talk about something happy," said Icetail sleepily. "Tomorrow I need to find . . . Sparrowheart." His speech was becoming slurred, and Icetail could barely hold his head up anymore.

"Sleep my apprentice," Brightstar whispered. "Let StarClan bless your dreams. Tomorrow we will solve this."

* * *

When Icetail woke up once more, Brightstar was gone. Instead, right by his side, he wasn't surprised to see Silverleaf asleep, propped up by the wall of the den as if she was watching him for a time. He smiled, but it was short-lived as soon as he remembered the news about Sparrowheart and Thornheart.

He got up from his nest, stretching from his long sleep, followed by a luxurious yawn. He should not be sleeping in a time like this. I have to see if Sparrowheart and Thornheart are back. He gently rested Silverleaf in his nest so she could sleep more comfortably, and then he padded outside of the den.

His eyes were immediately blinded by the bright light of the sun, and he squinted to see if he could make out what was going on. The camp was damp, freshly washed from the rainstorm. Rainwhisker seemed to be recovering in the medicine den, but he was still coughing, and Shadowheart was already on his paws, talking softly to the older warriors.

Icetail searched around the camp for his father, but Sparrowheart was not seen. He must still be missing! Icetail thought with worry. He knew that he had to go find his father and missing Clanmate. He spotted Brightstar speaking to two senior warriors, Mousetail and Sharpfang.

As he made his way towards his leader, he passed Nightrose and Sagepelt, and he was close enough to make out their conversation. "I'm not sure, but Sweetheart said that she thinks I'm having kits," whispered Sagepelt.

"Kits at this time?" Nightrose whispered back. "We're in the middle of a war!"

"You had kits in the middle of a war," responded Sagepelt. "Plus, it doesn't feel like a war. There's hardly any real battles anymore. I wonder if DarkClan forgot about it."