Chapter Thirty

Edited ✔️

As soon as Icetail got back to camp from his patrol, he padded angrily over to Dewfang, his ears drawn back and his tail lashing.

"Oh, hi," purred his brother with a smirk on his face.

"Don't hi me," growled Icetail. "Do you mean to me that you're planning on taking Silverpaw as a mate?" Even though he was having an outburst, he kept his voice low enough so nobody could hear him.

"How'd you hear that?" Dewfang asked, not looking surprised.

"She told me what you were doing," Icetail responded. "She doesn't feel comfortable."

Dewfang lied down in his nest and shrugged. "Whatever," he said. "Anyways, move. You're in my sun." His white fur was as briliant as it was on their apprentice ceremony. His eyes glinted of something that Icetail couldn't understand.

Icetail's eyes narrowed. I can't believe StarClan chose Dewfang to lead. I would've made a better leader than this mouse-heart! Where is that innocent cat who saved Silverkit and Squirrelkit with me from DarkClan? Why is he like this?

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, join beneath the Moonrock for a Clan meeting!" Brightstar called, dismissing Icetail's thoughts.

"Let's go. Brightstar's summoning us," Icetail muttered, stalking to the clearing. Dewfang shrugged and padded to the center of the camp. Icetail remained in the back, taking a spot besides Volefur and Dawnstripe.

When Brightstar saw that most of the cats of MoonClan gathered, she began. "Tonight, there will be a full moon, so there will be a gathering," she began. "I've thought about it all day . . . and I've decided the elders will remain in camp for Softpelt's burial. Her vigil was long and her soul will be blessed by the full moon tonight. She has found her place with StarClan." Brightstar stopped speaking and closed her eyes for a moment. The Clan remained in grim silence before she opened her eyes once more. Her expression was unreadable to Icetail. "Before everyone goes tonight, they must pay their respects to our fallen warrior."

Icetail glanced around. Petalwing, Softpelt's littermate, sat alone in the crowd, her eyes sadly watching her paws.

"Those who will come to tonight's gathering will be Sagepelt, Graywing, Silverpaw, Bluewing, Squirrelpaw, Dawnstripe, Voleheart, Rainwhisker, Icetail, Dewfang, Crowflight, Redsky, Hawktalon and Sweetheart. While I am gone, Sharpfang will be in charge. This concludes today's Clan meeting," Brightstar meowed, leaping off her den.

She padded over to Softpelt, ears drawn back and shoulders hunched low in grief and silent defeat.

* * *

Icetail kept to the front of the group as they traveled through the territories to the gathering place. Everybody remained silent, their thoughts likely on Softpelt and the murderer that was likely roaming the forest. When they arrived at the gathering place, the clearing was already filled with all the Clan cats, indicating that MoonClan was the last to arrive. Icetail took his spot besides Silverpaw, glaring at Dewfang, who didn't seem to notice.

"I suppose everyone is here now, so let the gathering begin!" Sandstar called.

All cats grew silent. Icetail took his gaze of his brother and stared up at the crazed DarkClan leader. Her fur was more shaggy than it was last moon, and she had more scars than ever before coating her pelt. She didn't look like she usually did. Something about her was off . . .

"I will start," Swiftstar meowed angrily. "I want to start off by mentioning something that everyone should be aware of."

Brightstar raised her brow. "And what is that?" she asked.