Chapter Seventeen

Edited ✔️

The moon was completely full tonight, yet it was dim. The gathering place was darker than usual, as if the darkness of the prophecy was at the very edge of the tree leaves, hiding behind the massive oaks, waiting for Icepaw to come close enough so it can grab him. He sat by two CloudClan apprentices, one StreamClan apprentice and one MarshClan apprentice. Dawnpaw was right beside him.

"So I was there when the fight with DarkClan broke out," Flarepaw explained, his tail lashing excitedly. "We were so badly outnumbered, too! But CloudClan never ever gave up, and we fought them off and won!"

"Wow," said Silkpaw, the StreamClan apprentice.

"What bravery! Me and my Clanmates would knock them off their paws whole," laughed Frogpaw, the MarshClan apprentice.

Dawnpaw's tail lashed. "Humph. CloudClan would of lost without the help of MoonClan," she boasted. "DarkClan tend to travel large. They were fortunate we were there."

"I'm sure any Clan would've need help," mumbled Icepaw.

"MarshClan needs no cat to back them up!" Frogpaw insisted.

"StreamClan stands alone too!" declared Silkpaw. "No cat may get in our way as long as we live."

Icepaw looked over his shoulder, to the entrance of the gathering place. Everyone was still waiting for DarkClan, but for a while now, no cat of their Clan had made an appearence.

Dawnpaw got up from her spot, and began to walk in a different direction, over to more MoonClan cats. "C'mon Icepaw," she meowed. "Dewpaw's waiting."

Grateful, Icepaw nodded. "Bye, everyone. I-I'll see you sometime," he mewed, following his Clanmate down the narrow ways. Cats crowded the gathering place, even when DarkClan wasn't there yet. Icepaw hated small spaces ever since he had went into the cave of mosses for the second time. A river of blood had haunted him that day when he fell in the undergrownd pool below the hidden tunnels, and for some reason, he felt his lungs were suffocating in blood all over again from the crowded clearing.

He looked up to the black sky—at least the stars still shone tonight. It seemed like they were shining brighter without the moon's light. The thought of StarClan watching over Icepaw comforted him in many ways, it made him feel a bit better.

"Icepaw!" someone called, trotting up. It was obviously Dewpaw. "Hey, Ice!"

Icepaw turned. He saw his brother padding up eagerly. "Yes?" Icepaw asked him.

"Hey, let's sit by each other," he went on. "I asked Mousetail to save us two spots in the front of everyone."

Icepaw shrugged. "Sure, I don't mind."

"Great!" his brother mewed enthusiastically. "Icepaw, cheer up, will you? There's nothing to be sad about, we're at a gathering!" He began to pad forward, leaving Icepaw to follow him.

No reason to be sad? he thought in response. I'll give you several reasons, you big traitor! Why did Dewpaw not care about Featherbreeze or Ripplefur or Spottedkit anymore? Didn't Ashtail's wounds affect Dewpaw? Didn't the anger of losing in battle fill his brother's heart? Didn't he recieve bad dreams every night?

Icepaw, please, listen to Dewpaw, Featherbreeze's voice whispered in his mind. Icepaw was sure it was his own subconscious disciplining himself. There's no way StarClan would be able to talk to someone other than a medicine cat. It's been moons since I have died. Every cat lives and dies eventually. Get over it . . . don't live in your past, Icepaw.

This made his claws scrunch to the ground as he sat down in his spot that Dewpaw had saved. This was not what he wanted. He wanted to be left alone from these cats! He wished there were no StarClan existing, then prophecies would not exist either.