Chapter Forty Two

Edited ✔️

Two chapters in one day? I'm on fire >:D

Icetail woke up at moonhigh, his pelt ruffled after a long night of sleep. He felt that it was morning before he fully processed where he was, and when he looked outside and noticed the position of the moon, his heart dropped with disappointment. Dawn is a long way from now.

He glanced over at Silverleaf. Her silver pelt sparkled like the stars in the night sky at the moon's touch. All of his denmates slept soundly. The only cats missing were Stonetooth, Crowflight and Nightrose. He remembered sending them out for the watch patrol before going off to sleep.

He sighed, clambering out of his nest as quietly as he could possibly go, careful not to stir Silverleaf awake or step on any of his other denmates. There's no way I can sleep. Not on a night like this, he thought as he made his way to the clearing from the warriors den. As he looked up to the sky, he realized that the moon was barely visible. Nothing but a single crescent in the sky. Despite that, the stars still shone brilliantly.

After scanning the quiet clearing, he silently padded out of the camp. He was especially careful to go unnoticed. Waking up his Clanmates would be bad—Brightstar forbade patrols of less than three to be out, especially if cats were to travel alone on the territory. And now, since DarkClan was more hostile than ever, the rule was enforced heavily.

It would be bad if the deputy was caught going against the leader's word.

He crept away, his body pressed to the cold ground as he brushed passed stiff strands of grass. I haven't been alone like this in the forest since I was an apprentice, he recalled. Since the day Featherbreeze died. He weaved through the cover of the oak trees, his nose burning from the dry cold air. He didn't know where his paws were taking him, but he simply could not rest at all.

Anywhere would do.

His pelt ruffled in the wrong way as the wind blew, but he walked on regardless, aware that it was dangerous to be out alone at night. His only goal in mind was to see Silverpelt without trees obstructing his view, to feel as if his ancestors were watching him. Finally, Icetail realized that he made it near CloudClan's borders. He couldn't scent their markers due to the direction the wind blew, but he could easily see the open moor from a far distance, stretching out to merge with the sky, no clear indication of a horizon line.

Icetail padded out of the cover of the trees and looked up at Silverpelt, eyes shimmering in its reflection. Countless stars in the night sky shone down on him. He shivered, cold, and pressed himself down on the ground, rolling onto to get a better view.

I never noticed that the moon could be so big even when it's not full, he thought, observing its slender shape. And the stars too, they shine so bright.

He watched Silverpelt twinkle as thought of the cats who died, especially those cared about the most. Vinetail, Featherbreeze and Sparrowheart must be watching down on him right now. His heart ached. He wished that his parents and the old medicine cat were down here with him. He wished that Dewstar never left MoonClan. Everything could of been different.

He felt another presence from the forest and lifted his head, wondering who had followed him from camp. He was surprised to see Sharpfang. The senior warrior looked back at him, his eyes shining brilliantly.

"What are you doing here?" Icetail asked, unable to move from his spot.

"I can ask you the same thing," Sharpfang meowed, sitting beside him. "Why have you strayed so far from camp? You know Brightstar's rules."