Chapter Twenty Four

Edited ✔️

Icetail's eyes were wide as he stared down at the cave full of Twoleg contraptions and monsters. Constant shouts of the Twolegs themselves were heard over the loud ruckus of destruction.

"What is this?" snapped Sharpfang with disbelief, staring down at the cave.

Icetail turned to him, and then turned back down, but before he could say a word, Squirrelpaw immediately responded. "What if it's DarkClan's doing?" His voice was but a low whisper, and it quivered in fear.

"Stupid. Even DarkClan is afraid of Twolegs," Sharpfang hissed to Squirrelpaw. Squirrelpaw's fear must of been irritating the short-tempered warrior. "And keep your voice down. They will find us."

"Wait, Sharpfang," said Icetail. "The cave stretches up to CloudClan, MoonClan and DarkClan all in one. Isn't that strange? And how in StarClan's name did the Twolegs bring all their monsters down here? What if they tear up the forest when they try to leave?" Fear filled in his heart too, as well as grief just at the very thought of loosing his beautiful forest home.

"Don't worry," was all Sharpfang said. "Let's get a better vantage point. Maybe we will see something that can help us understand."

"And we should hunt," added Squirrelpaw. "We need to eat soon."

"I doubt that there will be prey down here," Icetail meowed. "This place is loud, and it reeks of Twoleg monster stench."

Sharpfang grunted with agreement and leaped up to a taller rock, getting a tiny bit of a better view. Icetail didn't follow, because he knew that now they were going to have to find a clue on their own. If they went back to Brightstar empty-pawed, who knows what patrol would be sent down here? Some cat could get hurt, so he knew that his patrol now had better find something worth staying away from.

He padded down a slope with his belly low to the ground. For once, he was thankful that his fur was a dark gray color. It blended in perfectly with the rocky shadow background. His belly fur grazed the cool ground as he crept upwards.

He felt Squirrelpaw's nose on his tail as the apprentice stayed close by, not wanting to get separated from a warrior.

He suddenly heard a loud crash, and Icetail jumped with fear. For a moment, he thought that the Twolegs had spotted him. But then he realized that something must've broke or fallen. because a large cylinder-shape stone was flat on the ground.

As Icetail got closer and closer, he realized something more and more. The Twolegs weren't just down here to destroy the cave, but they were also constructing something. But what?

The ceiling overhead rumbled, and he wondered if it would collapse right then and there. He turned to Sharpfang, and the two warriors exchanged a long glance. For once, Sharpfang looked like he was thinking the same thing as Icetail: Get out of here!

They nodded to each other, and burst from their spot, dishing towards the entrance they came from. Icetail panted, breathing in the disgusting air, wishing that he was back overground. Above the putrid smell, the underground pressure caused his ears to pop. He had to get out of there!

Once he reached the tunnel, he almost collapsed from dizziness.

"What's wrong?" Sharpfang demanded.

"I can't . . . breathe too well . . ." Icetail coughed.

Sharpfang nodded. "Alright. We must hurry."

Icetail stopped him. "No, wait. First, we have to patch up that hole! Worst things that could possibly happen—a Twoleg may find it's way here and wound up straight into out territory, or the scent may unleash and scare away all the prey. If we leave this tunnel open, only StarClan knows what dangers it can unleash!"

"I bet this ruckus has already scared off the prey," mumbled Sharpfang bitterly. "Squirrelpaw! Hurry and gather rocks and ivy, help me patch up the hole. Icetail, you rest."

"No, let me help," Icetail croaked.

Sharpfang sighed. "Well, I can't stop you. Then help me if you want but take it easy."

Icetail nodded and got up from his spot. He picked up a pebble in his mouth and began to push a big rock towards the hole that led to the tunnel. It was barely enough, but it was something. He set them into place as Squirrelpaw tied the ivy all around as a barrier.

The patrol collected more rocks, patching it up as good as they could, until they decided it was safe enough to leave.

Sharpfang led the way up to the tunnel, but abruptly stopped, causing Icetail to bump into his Clanmate's haunches.

"Hey, what's the hold up?" Icetail asked.

Sharpfang growled of frustration. "There's a problem," he meowed.

Icetail sighed. "What now?"

"I think I forgot which way we came down." Sharpfang stepped out of the way, revealing two tunnels. "I don't know, but we must of not noticed the extra tunnel when we ran down here."

"Try scenting it," Icetail ordered.

Sharpfang glared at him. "I already tried! I'm not stupid. But it's hard with that putrid Twoleg stench in my nose."

"They must both lead in our territory," Squirrelpaw suggested. "Besides, I think it's better if we don't come out of the one we came from in the first place, so we can check what's in the other direction before we go back."

"I bet it will be nightfall soon," Icetail sighed.

"And we all need," Sharpfang added.

Squirrelpaw sighed of disappointment that the older warriors weren't listening to his suggestions yet again. "We've really been down here that long?"

"Most likely," Sharptail muttered.

Suddenly, a wave of smoke and stench that had escaped the barrier from down the rocks, and Icetail broke into a coughing fit. Sharpfang and Squirrelpaw seemed rather uncomfortable as well. We have to get out of here! Icetail thought as he bristled up.

"Let's go!" called Sharpfang, beginning to run up a random tunnel. Icetail couldn't help but follow him. Squirrelpaw followed right at his haunches, racing up the rocky path desperate escape the smoke that filled their lungs.

"I think I can smell the forest," called Sharpfang from up ahead.

The patrol ran up the long tunnel for a few moments, until finally, the sky of the setting sun was in view from the inside of the tunnel. Out of nowhere, an image of a mountain suddenly flashed in Icetail's head, and the gray warrior froze for a brief moment, a little stunned.

"Come on," insisted Squirrelpaw as he realized that Icetail was lagging behind. "We're almost out!"

Icetail nodded and forced himself out of the tunnel, wondering what had happened. An image of a mountain? As soon as he left the tunnel, however, he realized one thing; they were not in a forest. In fact, they were above the forest!

The outline of treetops could be made out for a long distance. The air tasted crisper, felt cooler, and the sounds of the sky extended widely in echos. He stared the sky in shock, taking in the various colors that he normally didn't get to see underneath the trees. From a flaming red and orange that tainted the horizon, to a blend of purple, pink and blue that faded and became darker along with the night sky, Icetail felt amazed to be witnessing such a thing.

There was one explanation for this.

"Are we on the MoonClan mountain? The one that our territory extends to?" gasped Squirrelpaw, staring down the cliff with widened eyes.

Icetail looked down, and faintly saw the camp where they all resided. "It . . . seems to be so. That tunnel lead us up here!"