Chapter Twelve

• Dedicated to The cats of ThunderClan!

Edited ✔️

After months I've gone this far, and, CHAPTER TWELVE, FINALLY! WOOT, WOOT! I am excited to where this book will lead! Anyways, I am back, also as the WattyWarrior's new admin :) Please check out there account, it's on my profile and they are also dedicated in one of my chapters in the book. WattyWarriors is a fan magazine thing for the Warriors Fandom (duh) and advertises other authors to hundreds of readers. Check them out and possibly you'll be interviewed if you get recommended!

Icepaw let out a long sigh as he placed down the last piece of moss on the elder's bedding. He was exhausted. Today, though, was the day Brightstar promised he'd finally be out of punishment for what he did last moon when Featherbreeze died. Her death still clung hard to his head, but he was forced to live through it.

Thrushclaw padded into the den, holding a plump vole in his jaws. "Hi again, Icepaw," the elder greeted, climbing into his nest. "Ah, I'll miss having a new fresh moss nest every single day."

Icepaw nodded. "I think that Stripeeye's nest will be the last of my punishment," he meowed, "since the Gathering is tonight."

Thrushclaw bit into the vole, eating only small bites. "I hope Stripeeyes gets back soon. This is our prey for the day, and he's out getting water. He won't be happy to see his meal cold."

"Then you should wait for him," advised Icepaw with a small smile. "That old cat gets grumpy too much."

He scented something, and the gray tabby tom walked into the den as well, his almost blind eyes glaring hard at Icepaw. "Hey, I ain't that old," he growled. "But I'll get grumpier if you don't finish changing my moss!"

Icepaw gasped and looked at Stripeeyes. "Oh, sorry," he said, a bit embarrassed. He set down the new moss, straightening it out and made sure that there was no thorns, bugs or dirt on it. Perfect, there was nothing in sight. "There you go!"

Stripeeyes nodded to Icepaw, settling down in his nest with comfort. "Hey, let me have a few bites," he told Thrushclaw, who began to munch down in the vole.

"Okay," replied the other elder, pushing over the piece of prey. Icepaw's stomach rumbled even more now. When were warriors and apprentices allowed to eat? He couldn't wait till the hunting patrols returned. Leaf-bare had just begun, and he and the rest of the Clan were running out of prey to eat.

He looked down to the two elders. "Is there anything else you would like me to do?" he asked. "Err, before I leave?"

"Go on," said Stripeeyes. "Thrushclaw and I need our peace."

Icepaw dipped his head, turned and left. The camp was half deserted. Squirrelkit and Silverkit slept peacefully in the nursery, with the new queen, Nightrose by them. She announced that she was going to have Fireshade's kits just a few days ago. The only apprentice in camp was Volepaw as well as the medicine-cat apprentice, Sweetpaw.

She rushed out of the medicine den, walking over to Icepaw.

"Hi," Icepaw meowed.

Sweetpaw sighed. "Go bury the old moss," she ordered, "with leaf-bare here we have to get rid of things that the elders, who get sick way too much, use."

Icepaw's tail dropped. Sweetpaw didn't even return his greeting. "Alright," he muttered with annoyance, grabbing the bundles in his jaws before slowly padding out of camp. She went right back to the medicine den.

I swear to StarClan that Sweetpaw is too obsessed with herbs, thought Icepaw angrily. He trailed out of camp, the moss becoming uncomfortable in his mouth. He wished that he was the only one who has to do this. He'd been collecting moss this whole moon!