Chapter Ten

Edited ✔️

Icepaw touched his nose to his mother's dead body. Featherbreeze's features stood out perfectly under the moonlight. Her brilliant light gray fur was as radiant as the stars. She was still as soft as he first felt it when he was kitted. I will miss you, Featherbreeze.

If only Shadowheart said we could retreat before the attack, you'd still be alive. He casted a look of hatred to Shadowheart. He was waiting to pay his respects to Featherbreeze, and so were other cats. Ripplefur was the second cat, because she had to come in and out of her den quickly to not spread the sickness. Spottedkit lay quiet and peaceful, deep in sleep in the nursery.

He looked over to her.

Ripplefur caught his eyes, and gave him a warm glance of sympathy. Icepaw sighed, ignoring it, and walked in another direction, away from every cat. A few were staring at him. Dewpaw and Sparrowheart were paying their respects to his mother now, and he knew they were not as sad as he. They never saw it happen.

Icepaw looked up to the sky, at Silverpelt. There were so many stars. . . he wondered which one could be Featherbreeze? He kept his gaze to where StarClan resided, until he felt a presence coming from behind him. Icepaw turned, to see Brightstar behind him.

"Icepaw," she greeted. "I must talk with you, if you may . . ."

Icepaw sighed, not wanting to talk to anyone. But she was MoonClan's leader. "Okay," replied Icepaw. At the same time, he wondered what she wanted to talk about.

"Follow me," ordered the leader softly, beginning to pad to her den. Icepaw realized that the white she-cat with gray stripes was watching what she was saying, not to sound too harsh or mean to upset him. He appreciated that Brightstar was trying to be kind.

Icepaw reluctantly followed her into her den, wishing he were all alone in MoonClan territory right now. She sat onto her nest, and Icepaw sat near her. There was a short silence, until Icepaw broke the peace. "What is it, Brightstar?"

Brightstar sighed, and looked down to Icepaw. "According to Vinetail," she began, "Ashtail's wounds are severe. There's a chance he might never be mobile again, not for a long time."

Icepaw almost coughed and choked on his breath. "What?!" First, his mother, and now his mentor?

Brightstar licked Icepaw's ear. "I am sorry . . . you two are close, I know that," she said. "He's been there for you every day since you were an apprentice, and I tresure him too. He's a wonderful warrior of MoonClan. But Ashtail is in no shape to mentor you anymore."

Icepaw looked to the ground of her den and whimpered a little. "Not him too . . ." murmured Icepaw. "What about his kin?"

"He doesn't have close kin . . . so I figured the first cat to tell would be you," she said. "When he was an apprentice both his parents died. And he was born a single kit. The next cats to tell are his friends. I'm just hoping for the best for him."

Icepaw felt bitter. "Thank you for telling me." It was sad news indeed. "Who will be my new mentor?"

Brightstar sighed. "I don't know yet. Sparrowheart is in no condition to discuss about it yet, so your training will be shared by Adderclaw, Fireshade and Mousetail." She looked outside the den. "I've told them already."

"M-may I be excused?" he asked.

Brightstar nodded, and led Icepaw out of the den. As soon as he was out, he burst into a run, pushing past those in the way. He wanted to be alone. Icepaw dashed out of the entrance of the camp, and ran through MoonClan's forest, as fast as his paws could take him.