Chapter Forty Nine

Edited ✔️

Hi guys! Icetail's Enemy is almost finished, but don't worry, there'll be a book two because I love writing this :) help this book get to 1K votes, please! Thanks guys! :D and sorry for not updating in like a week... Honestly, I had writers block >__<

Icestar entered the camp, Sweetheart at his heels. Since he had only woken up from the nine lives ceremony barely before dawn, the sun was almost fully over the trees, lighting the camp with colors of a new beginning.

Don't forget . . . I can't tell anyone what happened in my dream, he thought, recalling the instructions he received from the cats of StarClan just before he had left their hunting grounds. The leader's naming was a private and dignified ceremony that ought to be kept between him and the other cats who named him.

In camp, most of the warriors were around Brightstar's corpse, paying their respects to her dead body. His heart sunk, as it was different seeing her like this than up in StarClan, where she was young and happy.

Sweetheart padded ahead of him, announcing their arrival to the Clan. "We've returned!"

Immediately, everyone looked up. Interest sparked in Flameheart's eyes as Shadowheart, Silverleaf, and a few others murmured their greetings, curious as to what happened. Everyone else was silent. Icestar knew he had to announce his leadership now, and choose his new deputy.

Carefully, he slipped past every cat, and climbed up the Moonrock, still a little weak and hungry and cold from his journey. Over the distance on top of the leader's rock, he could see the sun more than half over the tree horizon. It's so beautiful, he thought, recalling memories of his kithood where he spent dawns upon the leader's rock with Brightstar.

The grief of his leader surged through him, but he forced it to go away, since he knew that she was well in StarClan. He looked down to his own Clan. "Sweetheart and I have returned from our journey to the Night Flower," he began. "I'm happy to return here safely with my nine lives and as the leader of MoonClan, now known as Icestar."

The silence broke when MoonClan began to cheer. "Icestar! Icestar!"

He felt proud to listen to his new name coming from the friends he grew up with.

"In accordance to the warrior code, I am also going to appoint my new deputy." Every cat silenced completely, their ears pricked up to the Moonrock with curiosity. "I say this before StarClan so that they may approve of my choice. Ashtail will be my deputy. There's no cat I can trust more." He looked down to his former mentor, and smiled softly.

Everyone began to chant his name. "Ashtail! Ashtail!"

"This meeting is dismissed," he said, leaping off the rock. His Clanmates immediately greeted him warmly, crowding him to welcome him as their new leader.

Silverleaf gave him a lick behind his ear. "Welcome back, Icestar," she purred. "It's been quiet without you here."

"Well, it's great to be home," he told her.

"Congratulations on receiving your leader's name," Flameheart added, giving him a friendly nudge.

Rainwhisker flicked Icestar's ear with his tail playfully. "Good to have you back, Icestar!" meowed his old friend.

Stripeeyes and Adderclaw both padded up to him side by side from Brightstar's body. "When'll we bury her?" Adderclaw asked, angling his ears toward the or previous leader's direction. "Her body's almost fully cold. Us elders have been keeping her warm all night."

Stripeeyes nodded with agreement. "If she stays out of the ground any longer, she'll start to smell and attract bugs to the camp," he added. "We want to bury her before she starts to change. We want to remember her always as our strong and dignified leader."